Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remove overlapping PE reads RRBS

I'm working with PE RRBS data. The library fragment size is 40-220bp, and the reads are 50bp PE reads. Because of this, there are a significant amount of regions in which the PE reads overlap. I'm using BSseeker2 to align the PE data, but during the methylation calling there is a bias in the overlapping regions, as each read in an overlapping pair is used to call the methylation state. I need to avoid scoring overlapping methylation calls twice. However, this has proved to be harder than expected. I've tried two approaches:

1. Remove the overlapping portion of one of the PE reads from the aligned bam file before methylation calling using BSeQC. I've tried this, and the output suggests that I have no overlapping PE reads:

Total reads: 19725948
    Not unique paired mapping reads: 0(0.00%)
    Unique paired mapping reads: 19725948(100.00%)
    Skip not paired unique mapping reads: 0(0.00%)
    In unique paired mapping reads:
    All unique paired mapping basepairs: 932699172
    Filter end-repaired nucleotides in MspI site : 19714618(2.11% of u
    nique mapping basepairs)
    Filter overlapped basepairs: 0(0.00% of unique paired mapping base
    pairs)

The results are the same for all of my samples. However I know that there are regions where PE reads do overlap. I'm not sure why BSeQC does not recognize this in my bam files produced by BSseeker2. So I decided to try another approach:

2. Merge overlapping PE reads before alignment using SeqPrep. This results in about 10M of the ~19M reads being merged. However when I try to align these as SE reads, BSseeker2 seems to run properly, then stops partway through without any warnings or errors. I've looked through the output reports, but can't figure out where the problem is.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with PE RRBS datasets? Bismark has an option to remove these overlapping portions, so I can switch to Bismark if I need to. But my % uniquely aligned drops about 10% or more using Bismark instead of BSseeker2 because Bismark does not allow the use of bowtie2 in the local alignment mode. Thanks.

Just use a different aligner. If you need local alignment then I recently updated bison to handle that. Bison will never double count overlapping portions of reads (unlike bismark, there's not even an option to enable that since it should never be done).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses