Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about ONT's Developer Agreement

Anyone here signed ONT's Developer Agreement?

I read the fine terms. It seems like anything that built on top of their developer kit will become ONT's intellectual property. Is that true?

For example, Matt Loose et al's selective sequencing paper:
    The Oxford Nanopore MinION is a portable real time sequencing device which functions by sensing the change in current flow through a nanopore as DNA passes through it. These current values can be streamed in real time from individual nanopores as DNA molecules traverse them. Furthermore, the technology enables individual DNA molecules to be rejected on demand by reversing the voltage across specific channels. In theory, combining these features enables selection of individual DNA molecules for sequencing from a pool, an approach called ‘Read Until’. Here we apply dynamic time warping to match short query current traces to references, demonstrating selection of specific regions of small genomes, individual amplicons from a group of targets, or normalisation of amplicons in a set. This is the first demonstration of direct selection of specific DNA molecules in real time whilst sequencing on any device and enables many novel uses for the MinION.

uses the ReadUntil capability which is part of the developer kit. Does that mean everything Loose et al developed in that preprint belongs to ONT???

I've refused to sign ONT's developer agreement because of the restrictions of use that are claimed by ONT. I much prefer waiting a couple more months and using free software.

Comment

oic. No wonder there were no follow-up to that Matt Loose paper.

Comment

The "read until" is still being developed, but Matt doesn't have much time to specifically work on it, and it's mostly useless now with a sequencing speed of 450 bases per second. Computing matches just takes far too long -- by the time a program has decided whether or not to keep a sequence, a substantial fraction of the reads will have already passed through the pore.

ONT are currently developing FPGA methods that can make read-until decisions at millisecond timescales, which would bring read-until back into the realm of possibility. A really nice application of read-until is for direct RNA sequencing from total RNA. Imagine being able to decide within 1/10 of a second (or 50bp sequenced) whether or not a sequence is ribosomal RNA, and ejecting anything that fits that profile, freeing up sequencing capacity for non-ribosomal sequences: no more need for ribosomal depletion.

Comment

Interesting, I am also doing something along the line. Nevertheless, I am doing 16S DNA not RNA but presumably should be applicable to RNA. I have a hack specific to 16S that allows me to align R9 data with DTW in O(m*n) time instead of O(m*n*o) where m is 16S length, n is ONT squiggle length and o is number of 16Ses to compare. It sort of works with the R9 data I downloaded in an offline manner. I would like to integrate it with ReadUntil and see how much 16S enrichment I can achieve with a mixed uncultured sample. But the Developer Agreement seems to be not friendly to my situation.

I think FPGA in the end can solve some problem. But in most cases, it is better for us to have a good algorithm before the FPGA-ization.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses