No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GWAS (genome wide association study)

hello,

Im new to SNP studies and Im looking to clear a few doubts.

There are several studies identifying SNPs near gene loci via genome wide association studies (GWAS). I understand a SNP is significant if it has a genome wide significance of P < 5 × 10−8

If a particular SNP has been identified e.g.

rs2487032 (A), p value 9.20 × 10−14 in disease vs control samples in GWAS

Does this mean that anyone in the population with this SNP

rs2487032 (A) has a high association with that particular disease, if the allele in place is A?

No. Those p-values usually apply to the confidence in the value of the distinguishing statistic (a statistic which, as it happens, is frequently absent from abstracts and the non-supplementary paper text), rather than the association with the compared trait.

When you're reading GWAS results, I recommend you look at those distinguishing statistics (typically beta values), and consider those values when determining whether or not to believe that an association is reasonable.

I don't think the exact p-value should be represented in the abstract or main text of papers, nor as an axis dimension in figures in papers, as it reduces the apparent importance of the distinguishing statistic (which I consider to be more biologically relevant). Many, many people disagree with me on this point.
    Last edited by gringer; 01-21-2020, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
    0 responses