No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNP calling on low coverage NGS data

Hi,

I am new to SNP calling and would appreciate some input. I want to try and call SNP's for a specific organisms. The hurdles I have is, I do not have a reference genome to map against and I have a very low coverage 4x per organisms.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The problem is the following: If you do not have reference genome, you need a de-novo assembly. You can find heterozygous positions in de-novo (which can be called SNPs), but in you case only two reads support this hipothesis.
    So, use this sequences to create a reference and sequence other samples to find SNPs or make a higher coverage sequencing from the initial sample.

Comment

4X read depth can be even more misleading, since at heterozygous loci you will sometimes get 2 reads per allele, but also 3 reads to one allele vs 1 read for the other, or even 4 reads to one allele and no reads for the other. On the other hand, any allele supported by a few reads is probably real; you just can't fully genotype the sample but you can identify SNPs.

Genotyping by sequencing was developed to solve this problem. By sequencing only 10,000-100,000 loci across a genome, the reads attain good depth with a small amount of sequencing. We do genotyping by sequencing, as do other companies and academic cores. You don't need a reference for the informatics, but rather the reads can just be compared from sample to sample using a core set of reads representing the loci as a reference.
      Providing nextRAD genotyping and PacBio sequencing services. http://snpsaurus.com

Comment

You are in trouble. 4x is not enough for de novo assembly, and it is not really enough for calling homozygous SNPs, let alone heterozygous ones.

If these are all the same species, I'd combine all the reads together, and do de novo assembly on that. Then align each sample's reads to that assembly, call SNPs on those alignments, and realize that you are going to miss most of the heterozygous SNPs, and many homozygous ones too.

Comment

4X coveragedata without reference is almost impossible to call

In my opinion,4X coverage reseq-data without any reference is almost impossible to call SNP.
          Best.
          Naibin

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses