SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Literature Watch

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNASeq data-set for machine learning fcarrillo RNA Sequencing 3 12-19-2013 04:42 AM
SNPSVM : An accurate, machine-learning based variant caller brofallon Bioinformatics 8 12-21-2012 08:46 AM
PhD position in machine learning and oncoviral genomics at CBS, Denmark tsp Academic/Non-Profit Jobs 0 12-10-2011 12:53 AM
areas in which bioinformatics is most effective jnks2011 Bioinformatics 1 12-07-2011 05:21 PM
stanford's machine learning applied in bioinformatics delinquentme Bioinformatics 6 11-23-2011 05:19 AM

Old 07-20-2015, 06:12 AM   #1
hlyates

Default Open areas in Bioinformatics and Machine Learning?

I am interested in open problems in Bioinformatics that involve Machine Learning. Do you know of any journals/posters/websites I should be reading to learn what these problems are and what the applications in Bioinformatics are?

I am very green to the field and would appreciate it if some folks on here could take me under their wing so to speak and point me in the right direction.
hlyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:56 AM   #2
Richard Finney

There's always algorithm innovation or a great application (like having a robot tell us how to cure cancer) . These will always be "open areas".

From a development aspect, having a standard API (application programming interface) to whatever the top supervised learning algorithms are (SVM?, Random Forest?) would be great. I'm thinking something self contained like the PNG or JPEG library. Something that can be trivially ported and compiled to any OS with no reliance on other, nonstandard libraries. Wrapping to perl,java,python would be straightforward.
Richard Finney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioinformatics, journals, machine learning, open problems