SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cuffmerge crashes when converting gtf files to sam files swbiggs4 Bioinformatics 20 02-16-2017 09:19 AM
GTF reference files that work with TopHat/Cufflinks marcora Bioinformatics 23 01-14-2014 11:10 PM
asking questions about gtf files dingkai0564 Bioinformatics 5 12-14-2012 11:49 AM
Combining *.gtf files? jhb1980 Bioinformatics 2 11-01-2011 12:43 AM
Question on GTF files gen2prot Bioinformatics 1 12-29-2010 06:54 PM

Old 10-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
hyjkim

Default Tophat v1.1 with GTF files

I wanted to try tophat 1.1 with a UCSC supplied GTF file, but the binary (linux-x86_64) I downloaded keeps asking for a GFF file. Has anyone had success running this version with a GTF file?
hyjkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Thomas Doktor

I have had succes with the 1.1.0 binary. Are you sure you are running the updated TopHat and not an old one left on your system? You can check using the --version option when you run TopHat ($ tophat --version).
Thomas Doktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
hyjkim

It's working! I had some deprecated paths in my scripts which were causing the problem. Thanks for your help!
hyjkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:34 AM   #4
Pejman

Default where can I get reliable GTF annotation files?

I'm trying to get the GTF files for hg18, preferably at isoform level, from UCSC browser portal, in order to run with Tophat and cufflinks, but apparently I can't find such files there.
So far I've managed to download a table from here http://genome.ucsc.edu/cgi-bin/hgTables?command=start but I'm not quite sure if it's the right way to do it. How did you guys get the file?

thanks
Pejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
Thomas Doktor

You are correct in using the table browser. To download a GTF file of a track, you need to select GTF in the output format dropdown menu, type a name for the output file, for instance hg18.UCSCknowngene.isoforms.gtf, then click get output. That should get you a GTF file.
Thomas Doktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:08 AM   #6
Pejman

yes that what I did, but the problem is that there are loads of options for group/track/table and I don't find any single combination to look significantly more appealing. I'm looking for a detailed annotation for hg18, currently I have taken, the GTF file with:

Group: Genes and Gene prediction Tracks
Track: RefSeq Genes
Table: refGene

but I dunno how sensible/standard choice it is! and I guess it does not contain isoform level annotation.
Pejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 AM   #7
krobison

RefSeq gene does include a lot of isoforms (any that have RefSeq mRNA entries), but there are certainly isoforms expected to be missing.
krobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #8
carmeyeii

So you can supply TopHat with a GTF file of annotated transcripts, which, using the --GTF option, will be the first place where reads are mapped, followed by the whole genome, with or without novel junction discovery in this second stage. As I understand it, this is after TopHat 1.4.
I'm curious to know how t was before 1.4. I think you could already give TopHat a GTF file, but it used it second. Am I right? If so, what is the difference between using it [the GTF file] first and using it second after the genome?
carmeyeii is offline   Reply With Quote