SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Limma removeBatchEffect question Justin AC Powell Bioinformatics 0 02-17-2014 06:13 AM
Galaxy Cufflinks FPKMs vs Cuffdiff FPKMs; why different? ccard28 Bioinformatics 2 01-15-2013 11:48 AM
cuffdiff and limma, puzzled by the differences dawe Bioinformatics 1 08-31-2012 05:44 AM
limma on log tranformed RPKM values biofreak General 1 08-30-2012 11:58 PM
cuffdiff gene FPKMs and transcripts FPKMs non-identical when using replicates Noa Bioinformatics 0 05-04-2012 12:52 AM

Old 05-21-2014, 02:14 AM   #1
EA01

Default FPKMs and Limma R package

Hi!

I have generated a dataset with 9 different biological samples (plus replicates) and have analyzed it using TopHat and CuffLinks. Therefore, I currently have a table with the FPKM values for every gene in each sample.

I am trying to use the Limma R package to model and extract differentially expressed genes between these several different samples (instead of 2-by-2 comparisons that can be made using CuffDiff) and have encountered the following problem to which I would really appreciate some advice.

I have to transform the FPKM values into log2 values to then use this in the lmFit() function. However, since there are "zeros", if I do this directly on the FPKM table, a lot of "Infinite" values are generated. I was therefore thinking of adding a specific number to all of the FPKM values before transforming them into log2 data. So my questions are:

1. Is this a good approach?
Are there better alternatives?

2. Is there a specific value that should be added?
I was thinking of adding a small value (e.g. 10^-10, a value whose log2(10^-10) ~-33 is in the "opposite" range of the log2 positive values - in my table the maximum log2(FPKM)~22).
But I am not sure if this is correct and would also like to know if there is a "normal" value that people usually add.

Thanks!!!

Note: I also have the count numbers and could eventually do everything with the voom function and then Limma, but since I have all my initial analysis using the FPKMs I would really like to stick with them for consistency... so any help is deeply appreciated!
EA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:36 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

Adding a small count seems to be the common method. If you look at how edgeR calculates log2(rpkm), for example, you'll see that it adds a small value (0.25 by default) to the raw counts before computing CPM, which is then used to get RPKM. For comparison, a minimum of 0.25 on the raw count scale would be ~2.5e-7 FPKM for a 1kb gene (depending on how library sizes were computed).
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 AM   #3
EA01

Thanks!
I have tried this but I am not happy with the results... I get really strange volcano plots (see figure), which I guess are a consequence of different variance stabilization methods...
Therefore, I think I will stick with the use of the read counts (even if it means going back and re-doing my previous analysis).

file:///Users/elsaabranches/Desktop/volcanos/volcano_plots.jpg
EA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
Gordon Smyth

Yes, that's a wise decision. Use the voom function to process the counts prior to lmFit. The voom-limma pipeline needs to work with counts, rather than with FPKM.
Gordon Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fpkm, limma, log2, voom