SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contig vs contig or map against contig lib? JackieBadger Bioinformatics 1 05-30-2016 05:34 AM
Finding contig repeat counts by mapping contigs to the reference genome misagh Bioinformatics 1 01-09-2014 05:41 AM
contig mapping reference blat psl result handle Jane Lee Bioinformatics 0 06-19-2013 07:31 PM
reference-based contig assembly? lukas1848 Bioinformatics 5 02-03-2013 06:55 AM
SRMA Problem SAMRecord contig does not match the current reference sequence contig gavin.oliver Bioinformatics 5 07-05-2011 05:28 AM

Old 04-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
gnarls

Default BWA-SW contig to reference -- what was unaligned?

I used BWA-SW to align 60 contigs to a reference genome. The resulting SAM file has 339 entries (I did `samtools view -c myfile.sam`). All of these are "mapped" (`samtools view -c -F 4 myfile.sam`).

So BWA-SW, while aligning, broke the contigs into on average 5 or 6 pieces, is what I understand from that. I can visualize the alignments in IGV and they look good. What I'm trying to find out is: are there any sub-segments of those 60 contigs that were not successfully aligned to the reference genome I passed to BWA? In other words I have 339 sub-segments and I'm not sure if they fully constitute the 60 contigs I originally passed to BWA-SW.

I've searched for how to figure this out as best I can, but it seems like the majority of use cases for BWA are for aligning short reads, which is not what I'm doing at the moment. So I can find info on how to count unmapped reads but it doesn't seem to apply to my situation.

Thanks....
gnarls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bwa, sam