SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA seq data filter low count before or after normalization qliu RNA Sequencing 4 01-10-2015 01:21 AM
Different normalization methods with count data greener Bioinformatics 2 09-01-2013 05:27 AM
ChIP-Seq: A normalization strategy for comparing tag count data. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 04-06-2012 05:00 AM
ChIP-Seq Data Analysis and Normalization snape_ar Bioinformatics 0 10-25-2011 12:16 PM

Old 05-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #1
bjackson

Default Normalization and analysis of proteomic spectral count data

I have spectral count data (SomaScan proteomics read).

What I have is protein name / uniprot identifier and a count (e.g., 188.9 or 106219.5).

I wanted to use PLGEM in R / bioconductor to analyze the data for differential expression between groups, but it says that 'normalized' data is required. Does anyone have a recommendation of what type of normalization to do?

I can't do something like dNSAF since I only have counts for called proteins, not counts for peptides.

Thanks.

Update: I've seen two thoughts on normalization, horizontal and vertical
one would be to normalize across samples (eg divide all protein counts by the total protein count for that sample so that that normalizes to the total protein load)

The other would be to normalize across each protein (e.g. mean 0, sd 1, so highly expressed proteins don't have an outsized effect on the significance levels)

You could even do the first then the second. Is there any good reason to to either or both?

Last edited by bjackson; 05-08-2015 at 01:45 PM.
bjackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
normalization, proteomics, somascan, spectral counts