SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to extract miRNA spike-in controls from smallRNAseq data heso Bioinformatics 1 09-29-2014 04:48 AM
how to normalize RNA-seq with microarray data? zhaopeihua Bioinformatics 4 04-03-2014 04:10 AM
Please explain the concept of "spike in controls" for NGS analysis medalofhonour General 3 07-05-2013 08:40 AM
ERCC spike in controls for illumina? onconaut Illumina/Solexa 5 11-26-2012 06:47 AM
way to normalize copy number data for small RNAs/miRNAs? vebaev Bioinformatics 2 03-28-2011 02:18 AM

Old 03-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
jazz

Default Normalize small RNA data with spike-in controls?

Dear all,

I am planning to sequence small RNAs from my control and mutant cells and I was wondering what is the best way to normalize the data. My initial data shows that the small RNAs in wild-type are coming from the entire genome (sequencing) and the mutants show reduced levels of small RNAs (based on PAGE gel analysis from equal amounts of RNA). However, if the mutants make all small RNAs proportionally less, how do I normalize? Has anyone had luck using small control RNAs as spike-ins? My concern is that the sequence of the control RNA could control ligation efficiency and have some potential sequencing bias.
Additionally, can someone comment on whether I absolutely need biological duplicates for comparisons? Can DEseq or EdgeR packages be used without replicates?

Thanks in advance
jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
Gordon Smyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz View Post
However, if the mutants make all small RNAs proportionally less, how do I normalize? Has anyone had luck using small control RNAs as spike-ins?
That's a difficult problem. I'm suspect there might not be a good solution, but you might look at the RUVseq package and accompanying paper.

Quote:
Additionally, can someone comment on whether I absolutely need biological duplicates for comparisons? Can DEseq or EdgeR packages be used without replicates?
In my opinion, the expense of doing biological replicates will repay you many times over. However look at the section "What to do if you don't have replicates" in the edgeR User's Guide.
Gordon Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:44 AM   #3
jazz

Thanks. I will check the RUVseq. Can I use RPKM for my case?
jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Gordon Smyth

Quote:
Can I use RPKM for my case?
You cannot use RPKM with either edgeR or DESeq, as the documentation for those packages will tell you.

All the packages (edgeR, DESeq, RUVseq) use read counts, which is what you should get when you process your data anyway.
Gordon Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:19 AM   #5
krespim

We are also planning some sRNA-seq in which we expect large differences in piRNA expression, and are thinking about these spike-ins. However we are still undecided and I would like to hear what experiences people have with this.
krespim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
normalization, rna-seq, small rnas, spike-in control