SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Introductions

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oxford Nanopore to introduce "disruptive technology" at AGBT GW_OK The Pipeline 103 11-06-2012 10:01 AM
Can GAIIx introduce a bias in coverage A on T? vjimenez Illumina/Solexa 3 05-18-2011 04:11 AM
can some one introduce me to next generation sequencing?? chanderbio General 4 08-26-2009 06:36 AM

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #341
bgolomb

Default Hi from California!

Hello I'm currently a grad student at UC Davis in the Food Science program. My research involves studying lactic acid bacteria in plant associated environments. I have never done any next-gen sequencing yet but I'm planning to do some RNA-seq in the next couple months!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #342
humbfb

Default Hello From North Carolina.

Hello everyone, I'm a postdoc. I'm very new with Deep Sequencing, my background is molecular biology (protein expression, cloning, cDNA libraries etc..) I just start a project to do gene expression analyses using RNAseq (Illumina). Very good to be here. I've been a reader for a while learning from you guys and I hope be able to help as well.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #343
ashfaqali10

Hi, I am Ashfaq. I am a doctoral student at Lund University Sweden. RNA-seq data analysis is currently the focus.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #344
eulbra

Hi, I used work for NGS project directoe in a private company and now I am learning more about analysis in here, thanks everybody.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:11 AM   #345
Chuckytah

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulbra View Post
Hi, I used work for NGS project directoe in a private company and now I am learning more about analysis in here, thanks everybody.
Welcome! I'm working with NGS too but for my thesis... i need help for differential gene expression... i'm new to this.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #346
eulbra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckytah View Post
Welcome! I'm working with NGS too but for my thesis... i need help for differential gene expression... i'm new to this.
Do you need transcriptoe or only DGE? I think it is cheap if you out sourcing your project with basic analysis and then you can do your own analysis by your self. That will help you to improv yourself. You can ask for raw data for your own analyis.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #347
Chuckytah

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulbra View Post
Do you need transcriptoe or only DGE? I think it is cheap if you out sourcing your project with basic analysis and then you can do your own analysis by your self. That will help you to improv yourself. You can ask for raw data for your own analyis.

It is a transcritpomic analysis but i need DGE too.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #348
Ramyak

Hello everyone!
I am a graduate student from New York University. I work on Estrogen receptors and I am new to this field. I think this community is great as we can exchange ideas and help each other out !
Old 03-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #349
Desiree Wilson

Hello everyone! How are you all doing?

My name is Desiree Wilson. I am a first year graduate student at University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio. I need to learn how to analyze NGS data and so I am learning R and Rsamtools. I am very grateful for the opportunity to learn so much from you all. I hope that I can be of service in return. ^_^ <3
Old 03-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #350
Stephie

Hi Everybody. I'm Steph and I'm from South Africa and I work on apples. I'm a complete newb and will be embarking on the strange world of both RNA-Seq and miRNA-Seq.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #351
enkia

Default Hello, everyone

I am new to deep sequencing with a background in molecular biology. I have very little computer programming experience.

I am working on a couple of projects that will use NGS technology. The first one I am currently immersed in is a virus discovery project from insect samples. I am currently using Velvet for de novo assembly from 100bp paired end data on that project.

The second project is a re-sequencing of plant virus genome from samples stored in herbaria - specifically looking at viral evolution questions. Does anyone have suggestions on software or experimental design advice?

Nikki
Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #352
bradshej

Default New to SeqAnswers, and I could use some help

Hello All:
I am a user in the Carribean area (San Juan, PR). I am currently preparing to transition a project from lots of microarray data to ChIP-Seq, and planning to use Illumina MiSeq for that. I have a lot of microarray data that supports a model of gene function, and ChIP-seq should help to sort out some of those features.
This brings up an issue that has been troubling for some time. It may be more relevant to a microarray users group (and so kindly please redirect me, if necessary). The crux of the problem is annotation; I work on zebrafish, and the microarrays were designed with the ZV7 (current June 2007) version of the genome. There is a group of perhaps 20-40% of the genome that is either poorly annotated, or not at all annotated. The issue is that over the years, many of the genes have been identified, but I'm 'stuck' with the version of the annotations that were current at the time of the release.
My desire is to find and employ any tools that might help to make the annotations somewhat more complete. Does anyone out there have any suggestions?

Much appreciated,
Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #353
lraleigh

Default Hello all,

I'm exploring NGS options for analysing structural alterations. In general, I'm interested in how to go from DNA sample to data I can understand.

This looks like a good place to start reading, though it's way more complicated a site than any I've used before.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #354
fede.maro

Hi everybody
Federico here, PhD student in Mainz (Germany) at the Institute of Molecular Biology.

Quickly, my focus in bioinformatics: ChIP-seq and RNA-seq analysis, currently collaborating in setting up a pipeline for the lab.
Curiously eager to learn in this field, I am sure I will enjoy this community!
Old 03-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #355
Mocca

Default Hi all

I'm a PhD student working in Oslo, Norway. Just signed up here yesterday and all ready I've had lots of help from this forum. At the moment I'm working on Illumina RNAseq data. Looking forward to exchange ideas, tips and tricks with you all!

Cheers,
Monica
Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #356
mangeshdudhe

Hi to all,

I am new to this community and beginner in the field of NGS, currently I am working with the in silico mining of the EST-SSR markers for crop improvement. I am interested and ready to work with ion Ion torrent NSG system.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:05 AM   #357
sevarc

Hi all,

I'm SÚverine, from Switzerland. We have just install IonTorrent. I have to develop some project with this technologie, and hope that I'll find help on the forum.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #358
wencanh

Default Hi

Hi, everyone. My name is Jasmine. I am major in biostatistics and I am new in this new area.
I have a lot of questions ahout the NGS data analysis, especially genotype calling and variation calling. But I don't have any idea at where I start analysing my data. could someone help me with introductionary documents?
Old 03-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #359
ngseq21

Hey now,
Working in Maine and hoping to use the new sequencing (yep, old school Sanger sequencer!) to do some community work! I know I have a lot to learn so thanks for the opportunity to learn from the users!!
Regards!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #360
krisram

Default Hi

Hi all,
My name is Kris and I work at a genomics lab in India. New to this community and NGS. Doing my first big expt after the 5500XL training. Here to share my experiences and to find answers to the problems we will encounter.
Cheers,
Kris
Closed Thread