SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Old 01-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #1
detrix2015

Default MiSeq competition?

Hi,

Just doing a little essay on desktop NGS tech and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

As I understand, the consensus is on the MiSeq system generally for higher throughput and accuracy (homopolymers and indels - still the case?) as compared to the Ion PGM, as well as ease of preparation. With the Ion PGM being the better choice if you have varying amount of samples that need quicker turnaround. With costs essentially the same when it comes down to usable data.

My questions are two-fold: Does this still apply in terms of RNA-seq specifically? And now with the S5, does this change it at all? Or is it just an ease of use improvement.

Also, is there any other desktop NGS system that competes in this space currently available?

Thanks
detrix2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

Well, there's the MiniSeq, which is a bit smaller, a bit cheaper (capital cost), and a bit faster, but not really all that useful for people who already have a MiSeq. There's even a competition going for it at the moment:

https://www.illumina.com/systems/min...id=2016259IBN3

And, of course, MinION, which currently has an output in the hundreds of megabases for a reasonable flow cell. It's possible Sequel might compete in the low-end high-throughput space as well, depending on how much you are prepared to put down for the sequencer.

Last edited by gringer; 02-10-2016 at 06:53 PM.
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, desktop, ion torrent, miseq