Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somewhat vicious, somewhat funny

Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed. The references to PacBio and their latest claims are covered up in a paper-thin veil.

"Cleaning up SHT™ with Illumina data"

lol

Comment

It's a satire or a spoof of sequencing marketing & hype - timed with the AGBT meeting - not a specific dig at any one company! I thought it was brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by nickloman View Post
        It's a satire or a spoof of sequencing marketing & hype - timed with the AGBT meeting - not a specific dig at any one company! I thought it was brilliant.
        I would have expected you to like it - It is posted under your name on the blog, so I assumed you wrote it.

Edit: On further reading, sent to you by Neil on Twitter?
        Last edited by maubp; 02-16-2012, 12:50 AM.

Comment

I didn't write it, as I said I was sent it by Neil Hall!

Comment

Originally posted by nickloman View Post
            Not sure I buy this. The all-consonant acronyms, the references to gold sponsors at AGBT (on the Twitter feed), the 99.999% consensus accuracy helped along by Illumina reads --- there are just too many coincidences. It is very funny but whoever wrote it definitely had PACB in mind

Comment

Originally posted by BBoy View Post
              Not sure I buy this. The all-consonant acronyms, the references to gold sponsors at AGBT (on the Twitter feed), the 99.999% consensus accuracy helped along by Illumina reads --- there are just too many coincidences. It is very funny but whoever wrote it definitely had PACB in mind
              Maybe a little bit

Comment

It does rhyme with PacBio, but the salesmanship reminds me of another company instead

Comment

Frankly, the level of BS marketing involved in ALL sequencing machine provider is beyond me... When I see how much it actually costs society (purchase, red tape, infrastructure, qualification, service, usability and life span) to get one long read, I ask myself if the Talibans have won...

Comment

Originally posted by Elcannibal View Post
                    Frankly, the level of BS marketing involved in ALL sequencing machine provider is beyond me... When I see how much it actually costs society (purchase, red tape, infrastructure, qualification, service, usability and life span) to get one long read, I ask myself if the Talibans have won...
                    Chill out...the fun has just begun.

Oxford Nanopore's AGBT presentation should have just finished up, so the embargo is off.  Oxford was kind enough to chat with me last night ...

Comment

Let's leave this thread alone here in the "PacBio" sub-forum - there's a thread over in "the pipeline" sub-forum on Oxford Nanopore,

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses