No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigwig and replicates dilemma

Hi guys!

I am visualizing bigwig files on the genome viewer (I use IGV) from RNAseq samples of human origin.
    I have two clusters of 10 replicates each. I wanted to have just the experimental vs control track (otherwise it'll be too big screenshot, and also too confusing), but I am not sure what would be the good way to produce accurate data.

Should I use samtools merge to combine all the replicates from group#1 and group#2 (: all experimental combined and all control combined), and use those .bam files as input to create bigwig files? Or is there any other way?

Thanks to all!!!

Manu

The ideal way to visualize this might be a box and whisker type plot using coverage values.

5 wiggles (wig) or big wigs overlaid as plots representing (for each genomic location) the summary values for the samples as 5 wiggle lines: the 5 lines would be
    1) max, 2) min, 3) lower quartile, 4) upper quartile and 5) median for the TEST CASES.

If you had controls, another 5 lines (in another color) could represent such CONTROLS CASES.

Calculating it is pretty straightforward but I don't know if IGV or UCSC custom would handle it.
    Last edited by Richard Finney; 08-18-2014, 02:03 PM.

Comment

It sounds messy to me to have 5 wiggles (or 10) overlaid. In my experience this is hard to interpret. I would personally just average the wiggle files and have test and control tracks separated. Its just a visualization track. The more meaningful statistics of the expression will be in DE test tables and what not, not in a browser view.

You should be able to use wig.math from here (https://github.com/timpalpant/java-genomics-io) to do that averaging.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallysb01 View Post
        It sounds messy to me to have 5 wiggles (or 10) overlaid. In my experience this is hard to interpret. I would personally just average the wiggle files and have test and control tracks separated. Its just a visualization track. The more meaningful statistics of the expression will be in DE test tables and what not, not in a browser view.

You should be able to use wig.math from here (https://github.com/timpalpant/java-genomics-io) to do that averaging.

Hi Wallysb01 and Richard,

thanks for your reply!
        I agree that it is just a visualization tool...but some of the recent papers I have read on similar topics include a table with the genome browser screenshot of some DE genes. Although it's not a validation of DE - you also need to do qPCRs of course- it might be a nice thing to add to your paper.
        What do you think about that?

thanks indeed for the advices, I will try wig.math!

Manu

Comment

Hi, good question!

I have only 2x2 samples, but ran into the same "problem". 4 tracks seperated or overlayed do not give a nice picture. And thats what you want to have. As already mentioned, its only for visualization of the statistical correct, abstract table data.

I use IGB and used the build in graph options, which can create an averaged multigraph from selected graphs. I used my normalized wig files for this and overlayed the 2 resulting tracks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
            Today, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses