No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vcftools install on 14.04.3

I am installing vcftools from github and have two questions:

1. where do I put the samtools1.2 folder so that the tabix and bgzip index can be used.

I added it to path but am not sure where i should put the download.

2. I am following the install guide as posted on github and not able to do the ./configure or make.

Code:
     bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
    Code:
     make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
    Thank you .

EDIT:

I was able to do the ./configure and make but get an error doing the make install

Code:
    Making install in src
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/cmccabe/Desktop/ngs_analysis/vcftools-0.1.14/src'
    Making install in cpp
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/cmccabe/Desktop/ngs_analysis/vcftools-0.1.14/src/cpp'
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/cmccabe/Desktop/ngs_analysis/vcftools-0.1.14/src/cpp'
     /bin/mkdir -p '/usr/local/bin'
      [B]/usr/bin/install -c vcftools '/usr/local/bin'
    /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file ‘/usr/local/bin/vcftools’: Permission denied[/B]
    make[3]: *** [install-binPROGRAMS] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/cmccabe/Desktop/ngs_analysis/vcftools-0.1.14/src/cpp'
    make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/cmccabe/Desktop/ngs_analysis/vcftools-0.1.14/src/cpp'
    make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/cmccabe/Desktop/ngs_analysis/vcftools-0.1.14/src'
    make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
    Last edited by cmccabe; 09-04-2015, 07:45 AM. Reason: added edit with different error

Did you try?

Code:
    $ sudo make install

Comment

Yes I did and that worked. I have downloaded tabix and added that to path and will add the Perl5 next, then I should be done. There was no bin folder created as the manual said but we will see. Thanks .

Comment

If there was no /usr/local/bin on your computer then you can make that folder yourself (with sudo). It is a good idea to install or softlink non-system packages that you install into this folder as a common entity present in your $PATH.

Comment

There is a /usr/local/bin does that not need to be added to path? I have added the tabix to path:

Code:
           echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/home/cmccabe/tabix-0.2.6' >> ~/.bashrc
          and now am at the step where I add PERL5 to path

Code:
           export PERL5LIB=/home/cmccabe/Desktop/ngs_analysis/vcftools-0.14/src/perl
          or
          Code:
           export PERL5LIB=/home/cmccabe/tabix-0.2.6/perl
          Not sure which to use?

Will vcftools be usable then? Thank you .
          Last edited by cmccabe; 09-05-2015, 08:16 AM.

Comment

You don't have system Perl? http://askubuntu.com/questions/53068...r-ubuntu-14-04

Comment

No I do not, I will load that but is that whats needed for the PERL5? I am learning ubuntu and how to best utilize it. Thank you .

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                Today, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses