Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 454 supply issues?

Does anyone know what's going on with all the supply interruptions at Roche/454? I can't seem to get a straight answer about anything from them.

At the user's group meeting they said that there is a large backorder on sequencing reagents. They have tightened up their quality requirements from vendors.

Comment

We were sent a circular letter from Roche describing the problems. I'd re-post but they asked us not to. Get on the case of your account manager?

Comment

unfortunately all she will tell me is that she wishes she knew more

Comment

Originally posted by rbarry View Post
          unfortunately all she will tell me is that she wishes she knew more
          Strange. As mentioned upthread, at the 2nd Users Group meeting last week, we were told that due to problems in QC from a "vendor", 454 users had seen variable results from a number emPCR kits from multiple lots. Because of this issue Roche had implemented additional QC that had (temporarily) apparently resulted in production delays.

My guess is that either this QC step is now a bottleneck or that so many lots of product from this vendor are being rejected that the supply of this vendor's product is bottlenecking the supply of emPCR kits.

--
          Phillip

Comment

My guess is that either this QC step is now a bottleneck or that so many lots of product from this vendor are being rejected that the supply of this vendor's product is bottlenecking the supply of emPCR kits.
            They are telling me now that it's the XLR70 sequencing kits that are on backorder with no projected date as to when they will be available.

Comment

Originally posted by rbarry View Post
              They are telling me now that it's the XLR70 sequencing kits that are on backorder with no projected date as to when they will be available.
              Well, that is mysterious. I inferred that the problem was with the emPCR kits, because when I mentioned the "Low Number of Raw Wells" issue I was having at the User's Group meeting, the problem was immediately blamed on issues with emPCR kits. Maybe these are two separate issues then?

Anyone having trouble getting emPCR kits?

--
              Phillip

Comment

Originally posted by pmiguel View Post
                Anyone having trouble getting emPCR kits?
                I just placed an order today for several SVemPCR kits and was informed that they are on backorder indefinitely.

The XLR70 kits are supposed to ship as soon as the last component holding up the QC passes.
                Last edited by 454User; 05-11-2010, 04:32 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=pmiguel;18390]Well, that is mysterious. I inferred that the problem was with the emPCR kits, because when I mentioned the "Low Number of Raw Wells" issue I was having at the User's Group meeting, the problem was immediately blamed on issues with emPCR kits.

Hi Phillip,
                  Could you tell more about "Low number of raw wells" issue. We have this issue almost every run lately and reported to Roche multiple times, but I hear from from you first time that this is not only our problem and the cause is emPCR kit.
                  Thanks,
                  Vlad

Comment

[QUOTE=vlee2;18550]
                    Could you tell more about "Low number of raw wells" issue. We have this issue almost every run lately and reported to Roche multiple times, but I hear from from you first time that this is not only our problem and the cause is emPCR kit.
                    The information politics of Roche/454 is ... improvable.

Reminds me of the Titanium kits in the first half of last year which completely failed to give good data on GC rich (~ >= 62%) genomes or genome regions. Has never been made really public and I still meet people who paid quite some money and ask why they don't get good assemblies. The questions they ask and the symptoms they report make me immediately think that they must have sequenced it in that time frame. I'm right 90% of the time.

Comment

[QUOTE=vlee2;18550]
                      Well, that is mysterious. I inferred that the problem was with the emPCR kits, because when I mentioned the "Low Number of Raw Wells" issue I was having at the User's Group meeting, the problem was immediately blamed on issues with emPCR kits.

Hi Phillip,
                      Thanks,
                      Vlad
                      Hi we've seen this too. 750K for each region on a 2 region plate when we'd expect 1.1 million. We’ve re-counted the beads and I’m sure we’re loading the correct amount.

Comment

We've had the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by 454User View Post
                          I just placed an order today for several SVemPCR kits and was informed that they are on backorder indefinitely.

The XLR70 kits are supposed to ship as soon as the last component holding up the QC passes.
                          My sale rep says the XLR70 issue was just the case of demand out stripping the batch size. She believed people might have heard "Roche back orders" and decided to stock up (on everything.)

Big shipment is said to be going out today.

Comment

[QUOTE=gilly;18556]
                            Originally posted by vlee2 View Post

Hi we've seen this too. 750K for each region on a 2 region plate when we'd expect 1.1 million. We’ve re-counted the beads and I’m sure we’re loading the correct amount.
                            Vlee et al.,

I have delved into this issue previously:

Pyrosequencing in picotiter plates, custom arrays for enrichment/decomplexing. (Roche)

(Where I come to the wrong conclusion about the cause of the issue. We corrected our deviation from protocol, and the results did not change.)

and a related thread about what does constitute a raw well:

Pyrosequencing in picotiter plates, custom arrays for enrichment/decomplexing. (Roche)

Basically the results we had been getting around that time, despite the lower numbers of raw wells, were decent, so we were not employing coercive interrogation methods on Roche representatives. Now the consensus seems to be: problem with multiple emPCR kits/batches.

--
                            Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                            0 responses