Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passed FastQC - but adapters still present?

Hi there - I am brand new to both Bioinformatics and this forum so I hope I'm posting in the right place; and that my questions make sense!

I have Enterococcus isolates that were sequenced using a MiSeq sequencer, and currently I've been playing around with the raw fastq files in UGENE, CGE tools, and most recently the NCBI Prokaryotic Annotation Pipeline. My aim is to check out the resistance genes, sequence types, phylogeny etc of the isolates.

I used FASTQC to check the quality of one of my isolates, then the SPAdes assembler on CGE. I then submitted to NCBI PGAP. I got an error message back though saying contam - i.e. an adapter.

I'm not sure how to proceed. I know there are (tons of) adapter trimming programs - my issue is I'm exclusively Windows based at the moment - I'm really trying to learn Unix/command line but I'm struggling with this.

Anyone have any tips; either re Windows/web based adapter trimming and/or (easy!) command line software?

Thanks so much!

You can use bbduk from BBMap suite to remove adapter contamination. BBMap suite is pure java so it will work on windows as well.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses