SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom primers and PhiX on MiSeq gleb Illumina/Solexa 14 05-09-2017 09:53 AM
Failed NextSeq 500 v2 runs w/ custom sequencing primer kakseq Illumina/Solexa 4 10-05-2016 06:25 PM
MiSeq runs failed "focus out of spec" thermophile Illumina/Solexa 6 09-23-2015 07:25 AM
Using MiSeq with both standard and custom sequencing/index primers at the same time? kevin_bryant Illumina/Solexa 1 02-27-2014 01:57 PM
miseq custom primers barturas Illumina/Solexa 1 07-01-2013 06:46 AM

Old 03-24-2017, 06:44 AM   #1
katinka03

Default Spiking custom primers failed on Miseq runs

Hi all,

I would like to know if somebody encountered the same problem as we do at the moment.
Since Mid February we are no longer able to spike our Fluidigm custom primers (CS1 and CS2) into the Illumina primers (Miseq V2 nano kit 500 cycles).
We tried now 4 times with different libraries and also with a library that worked before but got no results but PhiX reads.
When we used the CS1 and CS2 primers as custom primers alone the library was read as usual.
We tested the primers with our libraries in a normal pcr and they gave perfectly strong signals.

Thanks
katinka03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
thermophile

Have you tried new aliquots of the primers? PCR would work but sequencing fail if the primers are mixed up (R1 in R2 well, R2 in R1 well)
Old 03-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #3
katinka03

As usual, in the beginning we were assuming the error to be on our side and we had the same idea: mixed primer directions. But we have used the same primers without Illumina primers as custom read primers and they worked.
And we spiked the Fluidigm primers as pairs into Illumina primers and this did not work.
We just wonder if we are the only ones having troubles or if this is something new and others are struggling the same way?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:01 AM   #4
thermophile

you could order the primers that hit phix and put those with your custom primers in the custom primer wells.

These are the primers that should hit phiX (I haven't tested them but this is what FAS told me to order)

Illumina.phix.R1
ACACTCTTTCCCTACACGACGCTCTTCCGATCT

Illumina.phix.R2
CGGTCTCGGCATTCCTGCTGAACCGCTCTTCCGATCT
Old 03-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #5
katinka03

This is a very good idea! Thanks, I will definitely try it.

Tags
custom primers, failed runs, miseq, spiking