No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library degrading after prep with Ovation Ultralow V2

Hello,

I am having an issue with library pools rapidly degrading after pooling and size selection.

I am prepping low biomass samples with Nugen’s Ovation Ultralow Library System V2 kit. Samples are visualized after amplification and clean-up (AmPure) on Aligent Bioanalyzer DNA 1000 labchip before being pooled and size selected on Blue Pippin 1.5% agarose gel cassettes with internal markers. Pooled samples are cleaned-up (AmPure again) then visualized again on Bioanalyzer High Sense labchip before doing qPCR targeting Illumina primers.

After multiple runs of qPCR with increasingly lower concentrations, I visualized my samples again on the HS labchip again and what was once a defined band before qPCR is now a smear. Between visualization post-size selection and qPCR I am seeing a rapid degradation of my sample pools but can find no other evidence of contamination. I have repeated the procedure but end up with similar results even with all new reagents (excluding library prep kit).

The protocol I am following has been working well for me for the past couple months. All samples are maintained at 4C overnight or -20C if longer than day. When visualizing the original individual libraries maintained in freezer, there is no sign of degradation.

Could the kit I am using for library prep be causing this issue? Or the method of selection? How could I parse out the contaminating agent in the future?

I am still new to NGS but SeqAnswers hasn’t let me down yet for finding answers. Please let me know what advice you have.
    Last edited by robicha7; 11-14-2018, 01:26 PM. Reason: clarity

Originally posted by robicha7 View Post
    Between visualization post-size selection and qPCR I am seeing a rapid degradation of my sample pools but can find no other evidence of contamination. I have repeated the procedure but end up with similar results even with all new reagents (excluding library prep kit).

Could the kit I am using for library prep be causing this issue? Or the method of selection? How could I parse out the contaminating agent in the future?
    Do you mean library degrades after size selection and clean up if you leave the library in fridge or RT?

If the library reagents are contaminated you would not have the library in first place.

Comment

Yes, the library pool degrades after size selection and clean up while in the 4C fridge.

Comment

Additional images

I will try to attach images of the qPCR concentrations, as well as before and after images visualized by the Bioanalyzer.

image 1 - qPCR values
        image 2 - post qPCR HighSense visualizations (lane 3,4,5)
        image 3 - post pooling and size selection HighSense visualizations (note that lane 1 size is off-set by misidentified upper marker)
        Attached Files

Comment

I am not sure how you have come up with degradation conclusion. qPCR amplicons goes through excessive cycling (normally 40) and end product can have artifacts and also running them on BA without clean up will not give good indication of size.

The best test would be to use Qubit or other dsDNA specific quantification method to quantify the libraries after clean up (post size selection) and storage and also run them on BA. If there is degradation it more likely would be due to contamination of buffer used to elute libraries from bead clean up. Also note that DNA can stick to tubes and if concentration is low then some will be lost.

Comment

Hello,

I have found half a solution - the library preparation kit is not contaminated nor unstable. You were correct that degradation was not the issue. Unexpected as the declining qPCR readings were, the actual issue seems to be size selection with Blue Pippin where we lose the majority (50-70% loss) of our expected product during elution. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses