No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTSeq and counting different features

Hi folks!
    Im using HTSeq to count reads and so far i used the default option --type=exon.
    However, it would be useful for me to distinguish reads mapping in UTRs and those mapping in exons that are part of the coding sequence.
    Do you think i could use something like --type=UTR and then for each gene_id subtract these from the reads i count with the type=exon method?
    To my understanding "exon" here does not necessarily signify a coding portion of the gene. I expect that some sections of UTRs could still be counted under the default exon method.
    Or how would you go about distinguishing counts between coding sequence and UTR regions?

Perhaps you could explain why you would want to exclude reads mapping to UTRs first. That's not typically a desired thing to do. Your proposed method will essentially work presuming you're OK with including reads partly overlapping UTRs and partly overlapping CDS (if your annotation file has CDS labeled, it'd be simpler to just set that as the feature type).

Comment

Ah Ok! i could look if the gtf has CDS labels. Thanks.
      I need to do a CDS based analysis to look at efficiency of translation.

Comment

Hopefully you have some sort of RIPseq dataset then

Comment

Hi, I did run htseq-count with default parameters and worked well for downstream analysis. Now, there is one thing I'd like to do which is know how many reads aligned to to exons, UTRs and other features. I have looked at the htseq manual but i am grasping it.

Do you have specify --type=UTR and it will map to both exons and UTRs? or UTR alone?

Any ideas?

thx

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses