SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TruSeq Adaptors reported by FastQC are true adaptors? Jiafen Bioinformatics 3 11-07-2012 02:07 PM
meDIP-chip/meDIP-seq/MethylCap-seq using mouse DNA Jones90 Epigenetics 6 09-14-2012 12:00 AM
WGA in MeDip-Seq mugiu17 Epigenetics 3 10-12-2011 06:13 AM
Adaptors for ChIP-seq libraries JHU-ChIPmaniac Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 07-21-2011 05:44 AM
Sequence for directional mRNA seq adaptors? gaster Illumina/Solexa 7 10-04-2010 06:53 AM

Old 03-20-2014, 03:41 AM   #1
nouba

Default Adaptors for MeDIP-seq

Hi!
I am all new here, so please have some patience with my stupid questions. I have looked everyone and not found a response, I'm getting so frustrated!!
So to my question: What is the difference between methylated and non-methylated adaptors (apart from the obvious fact that they are methylated?) What difference does it make for sequencing?
Furhermore, I would like to know what kit and adaptors to use for MeDIP-seq? Apparently adaptors from Illumina are methylated and I cannot use them?? OR have I misunderstod everythin? pleaseee help me!
nouba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 AM   #2
hduborjal

Hi,
Methylated adpators are just protected from Bisulfite conversion. By default Illumina's adaptors from low throughput kit are methylated. There is no negative effect on the library. It can be use dfro any kind of lib.
hduborjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #3
nouba

Hi thank you for your reply.
But this I have understood reading online, I am still confused on the molecular mechanisms behind the difference between methylated and nonmethylated adaptors. For eg, Why would you need to use methylated adapters from bisulfite sequcening if they are protected from methylation?
nouba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:06 AM   #4
hduborjal

Methylated adaptor are protected from bisulflite treament which converts unprotected cytosine to thymine.
If you want to carry out a WGBS project, you can produce library with methylated adpator. Then you treat the lib with bisulfite. As the adaptor are methylated, the cytosine are conserved and you can amplify the library by PCR and by using the classical PCR oligo.
hduborjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #5
Genohub
Registered Vendor

Default When to use methylated and non-methylated adapters

You need to use methylated adapters for Bisulfite-Seq and non-methylated adapters for MeDIP. Methylated adapters are needed so the cytosines are not converted during bisulfite conversion. For most MeDIP applications you'll need non-methylated adapters, because pull down occurs after ligation (and you don't want adapters being pulled down during methyl enrichment).

- Genohub
Genohub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Bioo Scientific
Registered Vendor

Hi Nouba,

Bioo Scientific offers the NEXTflex Methyl-Seq Kit which is designed to simplify MeDip-seq and MeCAP-seq. Additionally we offer sets of up to 192 unmethylated barcodes for multiplexing. Let me know if you would like me to send you a manual for the kit.

Last edited by Bioo Scientific; 04-06-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Bioo Scientific is offline   Reply With Quote