No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-Seq strandedness inconsistency

Hi,

Let me start of by saying that I am thoroughly confused and I hope someone can help me make sense of my data.

I have stranded RNA-seq data which I believe has been sequenced using the illumina dUTP method.

This thread is a great resource on understand the rationale behind stranded pair-end sequencing and I believe I have understood the rationale. http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthr...pt+orientation

My question relates to the inconsistency I am seeing when looking at my data in IGV.

I have aligned my reads using STAR, using ----readFilesIn R1.fastq R2.fastq.
    Since I'm interested in the reads corresponding to the negative transcript, I have then filtered the aligned reads on the samflags 147 and 99.

To summarise my current understanding:

R1(+)R2(-) with positive insert size should be denoted as F1R2 - from the negative transcript - should have sam flags R1(99)/R2(147)
    R1(-)R2(+) with negative insert size should be denoted as F2R1 - from the positive transcript - should have sam flags R1(83)/R2(163)

However when I subsequently look at only those reads with flags 99 or 147 in IGV I notice the following:

The pair orientation is F1R2 for all my read pairs, however some R1 reads are mapped to the (-) strand and the R2 reads to the (+) strand, with a negative insertsize (which makes me believe they should be denoted F2R1). I am also seeing R1 reads mapped to the (+) strand and the R2 reads mapped to the (-) strand with a positive insert size (which makes me believe they should be denoted F1R2).

I believe I should be only seeing F2R1 pair orientation, from the flags 99 or 147 reads. So I believe there is some inconsitency somewhere.

Could someone please help me make some sense of this? Most likely I misunderstood the use of either STAR or IGV or the samflags. Or perhaps the library is not what I think it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Some additional Info:

- The genome I'm investigating is very small (5000bp) and the transcripts on both strands will overlap.

- when I count the number of reads for each of the sam flags mentioned it is the following:

99 = 1440
    147 = 1440
    83 = 1113334
    163 = 1113334

- I'm expecting to see more reads from the positive than from the negative transcripts

- When summarising the number of reads with flags 99, 147, 83, 163, the total is about 99% of the uniquely aligned reads.
    Last edited by Anomilie; 11-20-2015, 01:41 AM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses