No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• inconsistency between samtools mpileup and igvtools

Hi all,
    I'm checking reads mapping coverage on rice genome using IGV but find something strange:
    (1) I generate .tdf file for IGV using the following command:
    igvtools count -z 10 -w 1 a.sorted.bam a.tdf rice.genome
    where rice.genome is the genome file generated by igv

(2) I generate coverage file using samtools using the following command:
    samtools mpileup -BQ0 -d10000000 -f rice.fasta a.sorted.bam >a.mpileup

However, I find regions where a.tdf shows reads mapped but a.mpileup does not. The following is an example:

a.mpileup (mpileup.jpg) suggests no reads mapped between 16097520 and 16103121

a.tdf (igvtools.jpg) suggests several regions between 16097520 and 16103121 are covered by reads.

Can anybody explain and solve this problem?

Many thanks

Hao
    Attached Files

IGV and mpileup are two different tools, they are probably filtering things differently.

For starters, I bet mpileup is not showing anomalous pairs, and I bet IGV is.

So start by getting some read names from IGV, and seeing what their sam entry looks like. Maybe then you can figure out why mpileup isn't putting them where IGV does.

Comment

I don't if it is relevant to your case... I think mpileup is hard-coded to skip reads with flag 1024 (duplicates).

Dario

Comment

Thanks for your advices. Now what I want is to get accurate coverage on each base, what tools and what parameter settings should I use?

Comment

Originally posted by ynwh View Post
          Thanks for your advices. Now what I want is to get accurate coverage on each base, what tools and what parameter settings should I use?

Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses