No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• failed to readlink

Hi.

I am trying to set up coronalite for running my ABI paired end reads.

I dont have PBS scheduler and so i tried using the standalone command as given in the documentation using the cut command.

However it gives me a "Failed to readlink(/proc/10065/exe):No such file or directory" error.

Have any of you faced this error and if so how to get around it.

I am running corona lite on my imac with 4GB RAM and 2.66GHZ core2 duo.

Thanks in advance
    Arun

The error occurs in the mapreads command.

Comment

Suggestion #1: Run Linux. CoronaLite is heavily Linux oriented. Even when it does not have to be (see below after the stars).

I presume you are running OS-X. I think that OS-X does not have a /proc file system. See an older article: http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/ancient/procfs/ The code in question is trying to create a temporary file from the information it finds in /proc.

If this is true (I don't have my Mac handy), then you will need to modify mapreads.cxx around line 1030 to make the program Mac-compatible. Or at least not Linux-oriented. Why the programmers couldn't use the standard library call (tmpfile) to create a temporary file instead of rolling their own code I do not understand. But this is so typical of the corona lite programs.

If you can't modify a program in C++ and can't find anyone to do it for you then see suggestion #1 above.

My favorite CoronaLite "linux-ism" (which I may have mentioned before) occurs in one of their Perl programs. The code in question:

-----

my $jlist = `seq 0 $numPanelGroups`;
      $jlist =~ s/\n/ /g;

-----

For those unfamiliar with the "seq" command all it does is generate a list of numbers. Handy if you are in the shell. Not as handy if you aren't in the shell. The above code makes a system call to generate that list of numbers and then transforms the new-line delimited list into a space-delimited one. A really dumb way to do it, especially inside of Perl. I re-wrote the code to:

-----

my @jlist = (0..$numPanelGroups);
      my $jlist = join ' ', @jlist;

-----

The may be better ways to do it within Perl but at least my code is all inside Perl and does not rely on external Linux commands.

Comment

Thank you

thanks westerman.

I am installing corona lite into my linux system. Hopefully that should solve the issue.

I will let you know how this goes.

Arun

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
          my $jlist = `seq 0 $numPanelGroups`;
          $jlist =~ s/\n/ /g;
          Wow! If they insist on using the seq command they could at least "man seq" first and learn that

Code:
          my $jlist = `seq -s " " 0 $numPanelGroups`;
          would format the string as space-delimited directly, no need for the substitution line.

Comment

You can avoid the "readlink" error on OS X by passing "P=<mapreads directory>" to mapreads. It's just using proc to get the path of the executable, because it assumes the "map" program will be in the same directory if you don't specify a path for it.

I still get a segfault when using multiple threads. Also, this doesn't fix any other problems with OS X in the CoronaLite pipeline...and if you just wanted to do alignment, you could use a Mac-friendly tool. So this is probably a useless tip.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
              04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses