Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isolating microbial RNA

I want to do check the microbial population in the gut before and after treatment, I isolated the total RNA from the intestine but how can I isolate the bacterial RNA from human RNA?
    and after isolating how can I size select fragments of correct size to use for bridge amplification?

You could use somekind of nucleic acid selection, like Agilent's SureSelect, but getting probes for a wide swathe of microbes might be a bit pricey if you're interested in more than one or two bugs.

Beyond that, I can't think of an easy way to separate them. You could deplete for host mRNA by selecting out 5' caps/polyA tails, but that'd still leave the bulk of the rRNAs and other non-mRNAs.

I imagine it would be easier to sort the bacteria from the cells by centrifugation before lysing - that said I'm no expert on microbes or GI stuff, there might well be some feature of microbial RNA that I haven't remembered that you could use!

You can do size selection by gel excision, or using an e-gel or something similar.

Comment

We've developed a technique that separates host transcripts from bacterial transcripts, but right now it only works if the organism of interest is culturable. You may be able to make probes using the technique described against a consortium of bacteria that are found in the gut as well.

To fully understand the interactions of a pathogen with its host, it is necessary to analyze the RNA transcripts of both the host and pathogen throughout the course of an infection. Although this can be accomplished relatively easily on the host side, the analysis of pathogen transcripts is complica …

Comment

Actually that's a great idea - you could just do cDNA subtraction using human cDNA from a sample that won't have any microbes (or at least none of the same as what you'd expect from a gut sample), leaving you with ideally just the gut-specific microbe sequences.

This means you're selecting out what you don't want (i.e. human) rather than what you do (bug).

Comment

Jamie,

I've tried that before and it works fairly well. We called it negative capture for the reason you described (capturing what you don't want). The problem is getting the most similar host RNA to your experimental condition. If the transcriptional profile of the probes differs greatly from the experimental condition, the capture is largely ineffective. Also we find that the simpler the genome the better capture works. Our best results are in viruses then bacteria and then eukaryotes.

Zach

Comment

That makes sense. In all honesty I've never done it, I just know it from the historical immunology literature; it was used heavily to clone T-cell receptor sequences before we knew what they looked like, just by subtracting B-cell libraries.

I think they used to have to do a number of iterations of subtraction (which I guess reflects the differences between the T-cell and B-cell transcriptomes).

I suppose the very best subtraction library would be the exact same tissue, minus any bugs - maybe by culturing samples with heavy antibiotic selection? Although I presume too long in culture would also alter the transcription profiles.

I wonder if you could just try a few rounds of broad human-sequence library? So make a huge library from as many different cell types as you could, particularly as many gut related types, and use that? Presumably there'll come a point where the subtracting library is saturating with regards to what's in the sample to be sequenced - I suppose it's just a trade off whether this is reached before you lose all of your target microbial stuff.

Comment

is it possible to isolate 16srRNA from the total RNA sample?

Comment

It's harder not to isolate 16S rRNA from a sample. >90% of the bacterial transcripts will be rRNA. You probably don't need to do anything special to get rRNA, although you could make 16S probes to pull the transcripts out of the pool.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                0 responses