No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• commercial software in sequencing analysis

Hi,

I just got some funding to purchase commercial software for next generation sequencing data analysis, but I'm very new in sequencing analysis.

Could anyone give me a list of the commonly used commercial software?

Thanks a lot in advance!
    slny

Informatics core facility

I feel you are better off spending the funding with a local core bioinformatics facility that is willing to train you with the skills to use open source software. This field is changing so rapidly that the analysis you do this year will require a completely new software bundle in 4 months. Many of the commercial software out there can be as high as $5,000 a year! You can get a lot of training and data analyzed for that amount of money. Commercial software are usually black box that do specific tasks that may or may not be what you need for your specific biological question of interest.

Open source solutions
    Need an alignment done? GSNAP
    Need it done fast? SOAP3-dp
    Need SNPS/InDels? GATK
    RNA-Seq? Diff Exp? Quasi-Seq, DESeq, DEXSeq, EdgeR, cuffDiff?
    Filtering reads? ShortRead, Fastxtoolkit
    Genome Assembly AllPaths-LG, Velvet, Ray, Soap-Denovo,
    Transcriptome assembly Velvet/Oases, Soap-DenovoTrans, Ray,
    Metagenomics Meta-Velvet
    And it goes on and on.

**This may be biased since I run a core facility but I wouldn't be doing what I love if I didn't believe it was the way to go**

Comment

I fully agree with severin's comments,

but it is possible that

a) slny does not have access to a local bioinformatics core that can be called/relied upon
      b) if there is a core available it may be understaffed and/or not responsive to needs of a small PI/single user
      c) funding slny acquired may need to be used for the specific purpose of buying software
      d) not every one is comfortable working on the command line/have access to necessary compute infrastructure

slny: A comprehensive list of various software packages can be found here: http://seqanswers.com/wiki/Software/list The list includes both commercial and free software.

Most software vendors will provide some sort of trial license so you should compare and contrast the packages and decide what works best in your specific case.

Before you go down the path of commercial software take into consideration the annual expense of a maintenance contract that may be required to receive continued updates/tech support. Depending on how the licensing for the package you choose works, you could lose access to your own data/analysis if you let the license for the software expire.

Comment

It is most likely that one piece of software is not going to bring it all together. You will need some help integrating and maintaining a very good pipeline(s) for processing sequence data.

For reference based work start with a good sequence aligner, it will form the base for generating good quality results that work downstream. Severin mentioned some good options however not all of those are available free for commercial use. We develop the novoalign (www.novocraft.com) aligner which is also quite popular. It is a 'commercial' software and it's free to explore without purchasing.

Comment

It depends a lot on what you want to do, could you give a bit more detail please?

Comment

slny,

it would help to know your background (biology? Expertise in IT?Linux?) and your applications of NGS (target resequencing? WES? de-novo?RNA-Seq?...) What's the profile of the person who will have to use the tool (if not yourself)?

The above mentioned list is quite complete, you will just need some time to try out the many options.

Comment

Originally posted by slny View Post
              Hi,

I just got some funding to purchase commercial software for next generation sequencing data analysis, but I'm very new in sequencing analysis.

Could anyone give me a list of the commonly used commercial software?

Thanks a lot in advance!
              slny
              In case you are not aware, most such software cannot be purchased, it is usually licensed with an annual contract fee (Partek, JMP Genomics, CLC Bio Workbench, and others). The cost of a contract will depend on a number of things (e.g. do you need remote access? how many users? which modules for some that are broken out by such?).

SeqAnswers also has a software Wiki - http://seqanswers.com/wiki/Software

I'd suggest looking through that as well.

Most commercial software vendors will also set you up with a trial license if you ask them, so you can evaluate their software directly. So if you see something you think you might want, you can check it out before paying for a full contract period.
              Last edited by mbblack; 10-11-2012, 06:17 AM.
              Michael Black, Ph.D.
              ScitoVation LLC. RTP, N.C.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for all the responses. The information is very complete. I sincerely appreciate all the help!

Best,
                slny

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses