X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stampy - Mapping multiple individuals to genome

Stampy - Mapping multiple individuals to genome
    Hi everybody,

I am very very new to this world, so apologize if the following questions are too basic...
    I am trying to use Stampy to map my RAD-seq reads to a reference genome.
    I have double digested, paired end data from multiple individuals of 6 species and the genome of one of those species.

I created the genome file and the hash table. According to the manual when mapping paired end data to a genome the script should look something like that:

./stampy.py -g hg18 -h hg18 -M solexareads_1.fastq solexareads_2.fastq

My questions are:

1) is it possible to map multiple individuals to the genome in one go or should I map each individual singularly to it? Could I use for example something like:
    ./stampy.py -g hg18 -h hg18 -M ind1_1.fastq ind1_2.fastq ind2_1.fastq ind2_2.fastq ind3_1.fastq ind3_2.fastq ?

2) which option can be added to specify the number of mismatches allowed between reads and genome? I didn't understand it from the help...

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many many thanks
    Vivi
    Last edited by vivi7; 03-18-2014, 12:39 AM.

Hi again,

I am posting the reply I got from Gerton Lunter,
    so that if someone new to the field like me will have same problems will find an answer hopefully

'1: no, you should map one sample in one go. If you want, you can merge the BAM files afterwards; if you want to do that, you should 'tag' each set of reads with a unique 'read group' identifier; the --help will tell you how to do this.

2. This is not possible, but also not necessary. Stampy will map reads if it finds a location in the genome that is more similar to the read than would be expected purely by chance for the best-matching locus in a fully random genome of this size -- up to some threshold that is implicitly set by the algorithm, and corresponds to ~10-15% divergence.

Hope this helps!
    Best wishes

Gerton'

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses