Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find fusion genes using bioinformatics, Need help?

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, actually i have 454 sequences and want to find fusion genes (chromosomal translocation) may be causing cancer, right now i am using BLAT, collecting sequences having min. 100bp alignment and above 93% identity.

1) Is there any tool or pipeline that directly predict fusion genes?

2) Is there any perl script to extract result from BLAT output using my parameters?

3) Am i going in right way?

Regards.

Is your data from genomic DNA or RNA? There are probably others, but here are some possibilities off the top:

DeFuse, BreakDancer, Trans-ABySS, NextGENe, some relevant papers here and here, and here.

We have used DeFuse successfully at our center so that would be my first recommendation if you have RNA-seq data...

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

My data is a transcriptome data. I didn't know about BFAST and SAM tools, i'll try it and confirm whether it's apporproate for my data.

Regards,

Comment

would you share some your experience of defuse?

when I modified config.txt like
        # Directory where you have decompressed your dataset
        dataset_dir = /gs1/users/defuse-0.3.3/
        dataset_prefix = /gs1/users/defuse-0.3.3/Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.59

it always showed the error "does not exist the file /gs1/users/tangwei/defuse-0.3.3/Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.59"

Thank you

Wei

Originally posted by malachig View Post
        Is your data from genomic DNA or RNA? There are probably others, but here are some possibilities off the top:

DeFuse, BreakDancer, Trans-ABySS, NextGENe, some relevant papers here and here, and here.

We have used DeFuse successfully at our center so that would be my first recommendation if you have RNA-seq data...

Comment

Do you have a space after Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.59
          If you would like to email me the config file directly, i can take a look.

Andrew

amcphers
          at
          bccrc
          dot
          ca

Comment

Thank you Andrew.
            The main problem for me as you said is the text editor messing everything up.
            now it is running.

Originally posted by andrewm View Post
            Do you have a space after Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.59
            If you would like to email me the config file directly, i can take a look.

Andrew

amcphers
            at
            bccrc
            dot
            ca

Comment

Did some one has worked on FusionSeq or FusionHunter. How are these tools comparatively with DeFuse in terms of performance and usability???

Comment

can tophat be used for detection of gene fusion?

Comment

Brajbio,

most gene fusion tools use paired-end information to detect gene fusion candidates. So in principle you could map with tophat but depending on your downstream gene fusion detection tool, the "split" alignments might not be taken into account. Some tools, however, re-align reads to the detected breakpoint region to determine the exact breakpoint.

Originally posted by Brajbio View Post
                  can tophat be used for detection of gene fusion?
                  We (Genomatix) have a gene fusion detection tool that will use "split" reads to detect gene fusion candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by townway View Post
                    would you share some your experience of defuse?

when I modified config.txt like
                    # Directory where you have decompressed your dataset
                    dataset_dir = /gs1/users/defuse-0.3.3/
                    dataset_prefix = /gs1/users/defuse-0.3.3/Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.59

it always showed the error "does not exist the file /gs1/users/tangwei/defuse-0.3.3/Homo_sapiens.GRCh37.59"

Thank you

Wei
                    hi, I find that your defuse version is so old.Please use 0.3.6 or 0.6.2

Comment

I would also suggest you update to 0.4.2. The way these things are specified in the config file have changed slightly. The new example may be more clear. After you have tried that, if you are still having difficulty, email your config file to the author or post it here and we can take a look....

Comment

Mapsplice may also be an option you can try: http://www.netlab.uky.edu/p/bioinfo/MapSplice

Comment

deFuse error.

Hello,

I am trying to use defuse. I tried to create the 2bit reference genome file. I got some errors. Can anyone check if there is some mistake with the config file that i changed?

/Apps/serial/defuse/defuse-0.4.3/scripts/create_reference_dataset.pl -c config.txt

This is the error that I got when I ran the create_reference_dataset.pl,

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /Apps/serial/defuse/defuse-0.4.3/scripts/cmdrunner.pm line 39.

Thanks,
                          Srividya
                          Attached Files

Comment

Your config.txt appears to be fine. However, the perl function abs_path is returning null. What operating system are you using? And which version of perl?

If you want, you can reach me quicker by email at the address listed on this page:
                            Download deFuse for free. deFuse is a software package for gene fusion discovery using RNA-Seq data. deFuse .tar.gz bundles will be released periodically on the sourceforge site, see Files.

Originally posted by srividya View Post
                            Hello,

I am trying to use defuse. I tried to create the 2bit reference genome file. I got some errors. Can anyone check if there is some mistake with the config file that i changed?

/Apps/serial/defuse/defuse-0.4.3/scripts/create_reference_dataset.pl -c config.txt

This is the error that I got when I ran the create_reference_dataset.pl,

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /Apps/serial/defuse/defuse-0.4.3/scripts/cmdrunner.pm line 39.

Thanks,
                            Srividya

Comment

FusionMap

You may also try out FusionMap, from Omicsoft. http://omicsoft.com/fusionmap/

It works with single end reads as well. The paper is at http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...tr310.abstract

It runs on both windows and linux.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses