No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ERCC spike-ins for prokaryotes

Hi!
    I see that many people use ERCC spike-ins with prokaryotes, but looking at the manufacturer description I see that they only mention that it is good for eukaryotes... https://www.thermofisher.com/order/c...roduct/4456740

I found some articles that asses the validity of the ERCC in eukaryotes, but never on prokaryotes...

So can I use it in prokaryotes? anyone found an article assessing the validity of ERCC in prokaryotes?

**I'm specifically interested in e.coli, and I really need spike ins because I suspect that most of the genes will express differently between the two conditions... If for example all the genes will be 2 times more expressed in condition A than in condition B, without spike-ins the differential expression will look like there was no change. If you have other suggestions for this scenario besides ERCC, I would love to know... **

I don't think they say it's only good for eukaryotes, just that it mimics the nature of eukaryotic transcripts in terms of nucleotide content, size distribution, polyadenylation etc. I think the bigger concern using them for prokaryotes is probably that a chunk of the ERCC spike ins are derived from bacterial sequences in the first place.

If you're concerned about the derivation of the ERCC sequences, then there are artificial spike-in's available: https://www.rna-seqblog.com/spliced-...g-experiments/ (I would link to the sequins site, but there appears to be a configuration issue on their webserver)

Given that you "already see many people use ERCC spike-ins with prokaryotes" what kind of additional validity are you looking for?

Comment

I'd be careful about using them for Prokaryotes. Many of them are actually bacterial genes, mostly B.subtilis if I remember correctly, but also some antibiotic resistance genes descended from Affy controls. I'd download the fastas and align to your genome of interest before using them.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
      • seqadmin
        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
      0 responses