SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uneven reads in pooled sample theduke Illumina/Solexa 7 02-05-2016 01:22 AM
GATK UnifiedGenotyper pooled sample sirmark Bioinformatics 5 03-13-2013 06:43 AM
Power Analysis - Sample Size Calculation jroussarie Bioinformatics 2 11-07-2012 11:15 AM
SNVer error on pooled sample Anelda Bioinformatics 1 06-10-2012 10:18 AM
PubMed: Relative power and sample size analysis on gene expression profiling data. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 09-18-2009 02:00 AM

Old 04-06-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
laurence_13

Default Pooled sample for GWAS power

Hi,

I'm very new to the forum, if you have any suggestions, please share them.

So i'm working with honey bee to identify QTL associated to a resistance trait (quantitative trait) using GWAS (by calling SNPs).
Honey bee queens are diploid and males progeniture inherit 1/2 of their genes (so they are haploid).
We want to sequence the queens, but can't use them, so we sampled the males progeny. I made 4 pools of 6 males for each queen.

My question is this: Is it better to do all my pipeline to SNP calling on each of the 4 pools individually before joining the results together, or should i joint the pools raw reads before starting my pipeline to enhance statistical power?

My logic is that if I don't initially joint them, I can later compare allele frequency between each replicate to insure that rare variants are not eliminated.

thanks
laurence_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

My usual approach is to do the mapping separately, and do variant calling in parallel with samtools mpileup in multi-BAM mode (i.e. using more than one BAM file on the command line). This increases the chance that a rare/odd variant will be picked up, and makes sure that all variants are called in all samples.
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote