Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembly of short reads in Metagenomic studies

Are there any Metagenomic studies which used an assembler for generating contigs/longer reads from reads produced by Next Generation Sequencers?

We do this routinely on our metagenomics datasets - we're using the CLCbio de novo assembler although we're sequencing with a 454 rather than a shorter read technology. Paper here if you want some more details.

Comment

Sorry to be late in answering, but there is a recent study that did assembly on the gut metagenome with Illumina:

Qin et al, Nature 464, 59-65 A human gut microbial gene catalogue established by metagenomic sequencing.

The scale of the sequencing they did is pretty enormous, 576.7 gigabases, not sure if the methodology is applicable to smaller scales.

Comment

PANGEA for next gen data assembly

Hi- you might want to check out this paper too:

PANGEA: pipeline for analysis of next generation amplicons

The ISME Journal 4, 852-861 (July 2010) | doi:10.1038/ismej.2010.16

Adriana Giongo, David B Crabb, Austin G Davis-Richardson, Diane Chauliac, Jennifer M Mobberley, Kelsey A Gano, Nabanita Mukherjee, George Casella, Luiz FW Roesch, Brandon Walts, Alberto Riva, Gary King and Eric W Triplett

MO BIO Laboratories, Inc.
        Saving You Time for Life

Comment

PANGEA is for amplicon sequencing only though- a somewhat different problem not requiring assembly. There are various of these amplicon analysis pipelines and they all have variants of the following steps: quality filtering, read trimming, clustering, BLAST, taxonomic assignment, comparison of relative abundances across data sets. They don't involve assembly, though I guess if you were doing Illumina PE amplicon sequencing you'd have to join the two overlapping ends to get a single sequence.

Originally posted by Suzanne View Post
          Hi- you might want to check out this paper too:

PANGEA: pipeline for analysis of next generation amplicons

The ISME Journal 4, 852-861 (July 2010) | doi:10.1038/ismej.2010.16

Adriana Giongo, David B Crabb, Austin G Davis-Richardson, Diane Chauliac, Jennifer M Mobberley, Kelsey A Gano, Nabanita Mukherjee, George Casella, Luiz FW Roesch, Brandon Walts, Alberto Riva, Gary King and Eric W Triplett

http://www.nature.com/ismej/journal/...ej201016a.html

Comment

Check these:
            - Increasing the coverage of a metapopulation consensus genome by iterative read mapping and assembly. Dutilh BE, Huynen MA, Strous M., Bioinformatics 2009 vol. 25 (21) pp. 2878-81
            - The metagenome of a biogas-producing microbial community of a production-scale biogas plant fermenter analysed by the 454-pyrosequencing technology. SchlĂĽter et al.,
            Journal of biotechnology, 2008 vol. 136 (1-2) pp. 77-90.

Metagenomes can be hard to assemble, but this really depends on the diversity found in the ecosystem you are studying. In studies discussing simple ecosystems where only a few species are found it is possible to do this. In more complex environments it really depends on how deep your sequencing is. Most metagenomes of complex environments don't achieve a coverage of more than 1 and then assembly is not easy.

And when you do an assembly, the question still remains, how can you test that what you have assembled is really valid. For that you need to be able to amplify the fragment using PCR and resequence it.

Comment

I've recently been playing with the MetaHit data from the paper cited above, assembling the data using the CLC Bio de novo assembler -- see http://www.clcdenovo.com/. Using gross statistics (total assembled bp in contigs > 200bp, average contig size > 200bp, N50, etc), my assemblies were better than those reported in the paper using Soap de novo, and required a fraction of the time/cpu/memory of SOAP. In fact, I could run the assemblies in 8Gb of memory. Give it a try!

Comment

Originally posted by saul View Post
                I've recently been playing with the MetaHit data from the paper cited above, assembling the data using the CLC Bio de novo assembler -- see http://www.clcdenovo.com/. Using gross statistics (total assembled bp in contigs > 200bp, average contig size > 200bp, N50, etc), my assemblies were better than those reported in the paper using Soap de novo, and required a fraction of the time/cpu/memory of SOAP. In fact, I could run the assemblies in 8Gb of memory. Give it a try!
                Hi Saul,
                can you send me more details how you did your analysis of the MetaHit data with CLCBio? I would like to try to analyze my metagenomic samples and I am beginner who would like to learn

Thank you!

Comment

META-Velvet!!!

Check it out or Abyss is also good!

Comment

Price

This paper hasn't been published yet, but this is hands down the best solution for metagenomic assembly I've used:

It's still being updated every couple weeks...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                      by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                      02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                    0 responses