SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cut the reads.. paired end fastq file empyrean Bioinformatics 5 06-05-2012 08:52 AM
Can we extract f3 reads while f5 reads are being sequenced in paired end Raa Bioinformatics 2 12-25-2011 08:46 PM
paired-end reads mapped to genome.. gene with only one direction of paired-end reads? danwiththeplan Bioinformatics 2 09-22-2011 02:06 AM
BOth single and paired end reads in a file!! adgen Illumina/Solexa 0 06-30-2010 10:28 AM
How to extract paired-end reads from .sff 454? pmiguel Bioinformatics 8 02-22-2010 08:17 AM

Old 07-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
ojy

Default Extract paired end reads from sff file.

Hi,

I'm working on a genome assembly project from 454 paired end reads which are in sff format. I have already tried Newbler which works with sff files directly, however now I want to try other things as well, so I need to have reeds in a user friendly format like fasta.

I used sff_extract whith -l and -c options to remove linkers and clip the ends. I decided to verify the resulting fasta file and assembled it with Velvet as single end data, however the results were very strange: N50 was about 15-30 bps. This is very strange given that the coverage is decent (~30) and single end reads assembly by Newbler was good. So I assume that maybe the extraction process went wrong and something else has to be clipped from the sequences? Any suggestions how to do it? Or did I do something wrong?

I was thinking to map the resulting fasta reads to Newbler contigs to see what is wrong with the reads. But I have not worked with alignment tools yet. I would appreciate any suggestions on how to align reads to contigs (preferably with visualization).

Thanks
ojy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
flxlex

You could also run a newbler assembly with the '-tr' flag set, this will give you all trimmed reads as a separate output file. The paired end reads will be split in two (with linker removed, and clipped). Paired reads can be recognized by the '_left' and '_right' at the end of their names.

Perhaps this helps?
flxlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
ojy

flxlex, thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.
ojy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #4
zhangju

What is the command line? I got GS2.6 here, and I have not run with command lines yet. In the path, I have list of commands - newbler, newAssembly, gsAssembly, runProject .... Which one I should use for extracting paired end reads from sff file?

Thanks,

Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flxlex View Post
You could also run a newbler assembly with the '-tr' flag set, this will give you all trimmed reads as a separate output file. The paired end reads will be split in two (with linker removed, and clipped). Paired reads can be recognized by the '_left' and '_right' at the end of their names.

Perhaps this helps?
zhangju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:07 AM   #5
flxlex

runAssembly -o some_name -tr path/to/454reads.sff
flxlex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
454, linker, paired end, sff, sff_extract