Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nextera vs Nextera XT: what´s the difference?

Hi all,
    I tried to figure out the difference between Nextera and Nextera XT kit (for low input). With the Nextera kit I was never able to get good libraries when starting from <1 ng input DNA, while with the Nextera XT kit I got great results from <100 pg DNA.
    I believe the enzyme is the same (I don´t think Illumina took the effort to engineer the transposase twice when they bought Epicentre Technologies...), so the difference must lie in the buffer.
    I am quite sure that the Nextera kit uses a regular Tris+MgCl2 buffer, but what about the XT kit?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would guess they reduced the enzyme concentration and added polyethyleneglycol (PEG) to the buffer to reduce the available volume (similar to the rapid ligation protocols).

Comment

thanks! actually I just got some decent results today, just increasing the ionic strength of the final solution (adding potassium acetate). lower yield but similar profile at the Bioanalyzer

Comment

I am also curious about this.
        Also, why does Illumina suggest to use Nextera XT to make libraries only for small genomes? Can we directly use Nextera XT to make libraries for small amount (<1ng) of mouse/human genomic DNA instead of optimizing the buffer in Nextera kit?

Comment

A diploid copy of the human genome is about 7pg. A 1ng sample would only have a bit over 100 copies of the genome, which is probably too little to generate a good library from.

Comment

Good point. Thanks kccchan!

Comment

for the genomic DNA 1 ng could be too little. I am doing single-cell RNA-seq and when starting from 1 ng or less (after RT & pre-amplification, of course) we get very high-quality data.

Comment

Thanks Simone78. It will be great if you could also tell us something you have found about how the ionic strength of the final solution affects the reaction.

Comment

Originally posted by slees View Post
                  Thanks Simone78. It will be great if you could also tell us something you have found about how the ionic strength of the final solution affects the reaction.
                  sorry, but that it´s going in a paper that we are going to publish (relatively) soon. Almost ready for submission, it´ll still take a few months, I am afraid

Comment

Thanks Simone78. Good luck with your paper! And would you please let me know when it is published?

Comment

how to make good libraries from &lt;1ng DNA using the Nextera kit

Hi Simone78, I was wondering if your paper has been published? I'm still interested in how to make good libraries from <1ng DNA using the Nextera kit. Thanks!

Originally posted by Simone78 View Post
                      sorry, but that it´s going in a paper that we are going to publish (relatively) soon. Almost ready for submission, it´ll still take a few months, I am afraid

Comment

Originally posted by slees View Post
                        Hi Simone78, I was wondering if your paper has been published? I'm still interested in how to make good libraries from <1ng DNA using the Nextera kit. Thanks!
                        yes, we published it in Genome Research last July. Here´s the PMID: 25079858.
                        Best,
                        Simone

Comment

yes, we published it in Genome Research last July. Here´s the PMID: 25079858.
                          Best,
                          Simone
                          Hi Simone,
                          Recently I've got the plasmid from you guys as a generous gift, and gave a try to purify the Tn5 Tnp. After following every single step of the protocol (except for the competent strain C3013, we used BL21DE3 instead), there was no activity in the Tnp activity assay at all. The protein size is correct on the SDS PAGE Gel. So I guess there must be some issues in the transpososome assembly. Would you please give me some advice?

Best!

Comment

Have you tried to do the assembly in solution as we describe in the paper? Just elute the tn5 from the column and add the oligos in equimolar conc with the Tn5 --> incubate 37 degrees --> ready to use. If that doesn´t work then you might have an issue with the Tn5.
                            Best,
                            Simone

Comment

Have you tried to do the assembly in solution as we describe in the paper? Just elute the tn5 from the column and add the oligos in equimolar conc with the Tn5 --> incubate 37 degrees --> ready to use. If that doesn´t work then you might have an issue with the Tn5.
                              Best,
                              Simone
                              Actually, I did assemble the transpososome in solution @ 30C/RT for 1hr. Cuz I used to assemble a commercial unaasembled tn5 Tnp in this way. BTW, I was not only following the published paper but also the in-house protocol generously provided from your lab. So far, I might have to wait the arrival of the suggested strain, try one more time and see if it works. And, I was wondering that the incubation temperature after IPTG induction described on the Addgene webpage is 30C while your protocol shows that it should be 23C. As the temperature is crucial for polypeptide folding a correct way. I wanna make sure just in case. Thanks a lot!!!

Best!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses