No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selecting new primers for Illumina's 16s protocol

This is a quick question with hopefully a quick answer

Illumina published a recommended protocol for 16S Metagenomic Sequencing Library Preparation. In the protocol they suggest that you can swap in your own primers, just add on the appropriate overhang sequences.

Their bulletin on this protocol says..."Locus-specific portion of the forward and reverse primers (NOT including the overhang sequence) must have a melting temperature (Tm) of 60°C to 65°C. If melting temperature is lower than 60°C, Tm can be increased by adding several “padding” nucleotides."

Why would this be? Does this mean that the overhang adapters interfere with primers that amplify at conditions other than what is recommended?

I'm interested in using this protocol with the primers used by Mahe et al 2015, Comparing High‐throughput Platforms for Sequencing the V4 Region of SSU‐rDNA in Environmental Microbial Eukaryotic Diversity Surveys

I too wonder about this! I think it might be a mistake. It would make sense if the sequencing primers were the same as the locus-specific portion (as in Kozich design). If not using a custom sequencing primer it should not affect the sequencing. And the reverse primer in the above Illumina document doesn't have a melting temperature in the suggested range (it's 51.3 C according to IDT page), so they apparently don't follow their own recommendation!

We used these exact primers and the Illumina protocol, and we got excellent results. So I don't think the melting temperature is critical.

Comment

I got this response from Illumina Tech Support regarding the melting temperature:

"The reverse primer in the 16S protocol is a well known standard primer (legacy
      primer) that was used in the field for many years and, while it does not fall
      within the specs we normally recommend, we did much testing on the primer and
      found it to work well.
      Other primers outside the 60-65 C range may work as well, but we are just less
      confident in primers with more extreme Tms.

However, in general the best practice for customers is to test and optimize
      the primers they are planning to use on their specific samples, as different
      organisms mixtures might present different features in terms of sequence
      specificity and an initial optimization will maximize the probability of
      obtaining as much information as possible from their experiments."

So, not very clear, but it seems their concern is about primer specificity in mixed template samples.

Comment

the tm of your sequencing primer is really critical if you're going off the Kozich design. My first custom amplicons with that design, I didn't check the sequencing tm just the overall and the sequencing didn't work (sequencing primer tm was ~70)
        Microbial ecologist, running a sequencing core. I have lots of strong opinions on how to survey communities, pretty sure some are even correct.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses