Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIGAR inconsist with read length. Does Bowtie2 reedit read sequence?

Hi, guys

I used bowtie2 to align paired-end reads to hg19 genome, and got the sam format output. Then when I tried to convert the sam into bam, I found some error information:
    Code:
    [samopen] SAM header is present: 25 sequences.
    Line 817574, sequence length 124 vs 125 from CIGAR
    Parse error at line 817574: CIGAR and sequence length are inconsistent
    So, I looked into the sam file, and found the line 817574 is like:
    Code:
    HISEQ04:185:C62CTANXX:3:1101:8017:19749	99	chr2	184686606	42	125M	=	184686727	246	TAGAAAAACTAAACAATGAACCGATAAAAAAACTACAACAACTTTTTAAGACGTAGATAATATAATACAATGTAAATAGAATCAACAAAAATTTTTTAAAATGAATGGTAAGAAAGGATTATTA	BBBBBFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF<FFFFFFFFBFBFFFFFFFFFFBFFFFFFFFFFFFBFFFFFFFFBFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFBFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFBFFFF<F7F<FFFF<BF<F	AS:i:0	XN:i:0	XM:i:0	XO:i:0	XG:i:NM:i:0	MD:Z:125	YS:i:0	YT:Z:CP
    The CIGAR is 125M, which means the read is 125bp and each base is match/mismatch, while the read sequence is only 124bp. As I know, my paired-end reads are 125bp in sequencing. I think bowtie2 has reedited the sequence of the read, so I compared the sequence in the original fastq file and the bowtie2 alignment:
    Code:
    Seq in Fastq:
    TAGAAAAACTAAACAATGAACCGATAAAAAAACTACAACAACTTTTTAAGACGTAGATAATATAATACAATGTAAATAGAATCAACAAAAATTTTTTAAAATGGCACGATGAAGTTAAGGCATAG
    Seq in Bowtie2 alignment:
    TAGAAAAACTAAACAATGAACCGATAAAAAAACTACAACAACTTTTTAAGACGTAGATAATATAATACAATGTAAATAGAATCAACAAAAATTTTTTAAAATG[COLOR="Red"]AATGGTAAGAAAGGATTATTA[/COLOR]
    It's quite strange the tail bases of the sequence in the alignment are quite different from the fastq file. Somebody know how do this happen? Does Bowtie2 reedit the sequence when it align the read to the reference?

If you have any idea, please reply me, thanks~
    wisense
    Last edited by wisense; 05-24-2015, 11:03 PM.

It sounds like the sam file got corrupted somehow; I'd suggest re-mappping. And, perhaps, upgrading to the latest version first in case that was a version-specific bug.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
      It sounds like the sam file got corrupted somehow; I'd suggest re-mappping. And, perhaps, upgrading to the latest version first in case that was a version-specific bug.
      Hi, Brian
      Thanks for your reply.
      My Bowtie 2 version is 2.2.4, I will try the latest version 2.2.5 to see if there's any difference. By the way, there're about 33437 alignments in the sam file their sequence lengths are not 125bp, maybe ranging from 80-120 bp. Quite strange to me.

Comment

It sounds to me like two processes ran at the same time, one with 125bp reads and one with variable-length reads, and were writing to the same file... just a guess. I suggest you confirm the read count and length distribution of what you think was the input fastq - should be the same as the output sam. The BBMap package has a tool called readlength.sh that you can use to do that quickly.
        Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 05-26-2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
          It sounds to me like two processes ran at the same time, one with 125bp reads and one with variable-length reads, and were writing to the same file... just a guess. I suggest you confirm the read count and length distribution of what you think was the input fastq - should be the same as the output sam. The BBMap package has a tool called readlength.sh that you can use to do that quickly.
          Before bowtie2 alignment, I used FastQC to analyze the paired-end reads and both read1 and read2 fastq are 125bp, not with variable-length. BTW, I have used the latest version of bowtie2 (v2.2.5) to re-align the reads to the genome, there's no such error in the alignment. Perhaps, this is a version-specific bug of bowtie2. Thanks for your good suggestion.

Comment

This is either a very very obscure bug or, more likely, Brian guessed correctly that you have two processes overwriting each other's output (or something along those lines). You might just rerun the alignment.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses