No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CDS vs cDNA

Hi everyone,

I need a help please. I need to verify my understanding of the difference between cDNA and CDS.

From the definition, CDS is a region of nucleotide that corresponds to the sequence of aa in the predicted protein . The CDS contains start & stop codon and does not include any UTR and introns. Therefore, CDS does not correspond to the actual mRNA sequence.

On the other hand, cDNA is the DNA version of mature mRNA (ie, does not include introns, but include the UTR, such as Kozak sequence etc).

Am I right?

One of the web that I was reading (I forgot which one, but it's a reliable source) mentions that CDS should start with a start codon. However, when I was browsing through NCBI, one of the nucleotide sequences of a protein that I found says "complete cds" does not start with ATG. And this nucleotide sequence does not correspond to the translated protein seq (from the same author). Why is that?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you so much.

regards,
    s13ep

Originally posted by s13ep View Post

On the other hand, cDNA is the DNA version of mature mRNA (ie, does not include introns, but include the UTR, such as Kozak sequence etc).

Am I right?
    Yes.

Originally posted by s13ep View Post

One of the web that I was reading (I forgot which one, but it's a reliable source) mentions that CDS should start with a start codon. However, when I was browsing through NCBI, one of the nucleotide sequences of a protein that I found says "complete cds" does not start with ATG. And this nucleotide sequence does not correspond to the translated protein seq (from the same author). Why is that?
    Hard to say without know which CDS you refer to. While ATG is a very common start codon, it is not universally utilized. Bacteria, especially, will use others. See this for some additional information.

--
    Phillip

Comment

CDS means coding sequences. It is start from the transcription start site to the end site.
      The "CDS" in your posts might be ORF, open reading frame, which is start from the ATG to the stop codon.

In my opinion, the CDS in database is the longest/most abundant one of all the cDNAs/mRNAs transcribed from the particular gene.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry_Zhao View Post
        CDS means coding sequences. It is start from the transcription start site to the end site.
        I think that this is the transcription unit. As said above, a CDS starts from the start codon and ends at the stop codon. UTRs are transcribed but not coding and therefore do not belong to the CDS.

Originally posted by Jerry_Zhao View Post
        The "CDS" in your posts might be ORF, open reading frame, which is start from the ATG to the stop codon.
        ORF is a sequence with no in-frame stop. You typically have several ORFs in any mRNA. Considering the 3 (or 6 if you don't know the strand) possible phases the CDS is often the longest ORF, but not always.
        Most of the CDS in human do start by an ATG. See pmiguel's post and link.

Comment

In regards to RNA-seq, the difference between CDS and exon however is that the CDS does not include the UTR, but the exon does right?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses