No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reads longer than 75bp

Hi all,

Am relatively new to NGS and our group has recently moved to using 80bp reads (not paired-end reads). What I am wondering simply is what programs people are using to align reads of these lengths to a reference genome. To my naive eye eland does not seem to be ideal for reads greater than 40bp in length. Probably should say we are generating 80bp reads from both DNA and RNA seq experiments so alignment advice for both would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Originally posted by cormicp View Post
    Hi all,

Am relatively new to NGS and our group has recently moved to using 80bp reads (not paired-end reads). What I am wondering simply is what programs people are using to align reads of these lengths to a reference genome. To my naive eye eland does not seem to be ideal for reads greater than 40bp in length. Probably should say we are generating 80bp reads from both DNA and RNA seq experiments so alignment advice for both would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
    There are many whole-genome alignment algorithms that have come out in the past year and a half. I am biased since I have my own BFAST. Others include but are not limited to Bowtie, BWA, MAQ, SHRiMP, SOAP. For a more complete list see:
    http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43

They all perform fairly well (based on my simulations), with some using less memory at the cost of speed, some faster at the cost of memory, some find indels (some do not), some are better with ABI SOLiD data, and so on.

Let the debate begin in your own mind.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
      There are many whole-genome alignment algorithms that have come out in the past year and a half.
      They all perform fairly well (based on my simulations), with some using less memory at the cost of speed, some faster at the cost of memory, some find indels (some do not), some are better with ABI SOLiD data, and so on.

Let the debate begin in your own mind.
      which ones work best do you think with SOLiD data?

Comment

Originally posted by der_eiskern View Post
        which ones work best do you think with SOLiD data?
        This is totally biased, and I mean completely biased. I am the author of BFAST, the BLAT-like fast accurate search tool, which I believe it is the best SOLiD (and Illumina) alignment tool. For SOLiD, it has the proper local alignment (see this paper, which I am an author) which considers indels, SNPs, and color errors simultaneously (analogous color space smith waterman). Next, it is flexible, allowing it to be tuned for any sensitivity (by creating multiple indexes of the reference). It also scales well with read length, and is above all fast and accurate.

To give it a test run, I have a demonstration server called the BFAST web server. PM me if you have any more questions.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses