SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling structural variants (CNVs) with single-end reads agwe Genomic Resequencing 5 01-18-2016 07:30 AM
How to make Samtools to output both SNP and INDEL variants? shuang Bioinformatics 3 05-21-2013 11:02 AM
GATK UnifiedGenotyper not calling any variants krobasky Bioinformatics 7 10-25-2012 10:19 PM
Calling structural variants from capture data Heisman Bioinformatics 3 04-16-2012 07:01 AM
Calling variants in a group of samples sharing a haplotype? Alex Coventry Bioinformatics 0 08-16-2011 11:39 AM

Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 AM   #1
Rubal7

Default SNP calling vs emitting variants

Hello all,

I am using GATK unified genotyper to call snps from multiple low coverage samples. I have lowered the -stand_call_conf threshold to 4 as recommended under these circumstances. However should I also be lowering -stand_emit_conf to the same level? My uncertainty arises because I am not clear of the difference between calling snps and emitting snps. Could someone kindly clarify this for me or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Rubal7
Rubal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
jchoo

the same question, need help too~~
jchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:48 AM   #3
biomichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubal7 View Post
Hello all,

I am using GATK unified genotyper to call snps from multiple low coverage samples. I have lowered the -stand_call_conf threshold to 4 as recommended under these circumstances. However should I also be lowering -stand_emit_conf to the same level? My uncertainty arises because I am not clear of the difference between calling snps and emitting snps. Could someone kindly clarify this for me or point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Rubal7
I also encontered the same problem. Have you solved the problem?
biomichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
jchoo

not yet now, maybe the forum of Broad may help……
jchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #5
Rubal7

No, not solved it yet
Rubal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
biomichael

I got some information in the following site: http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsa/ga...tand_call_conf

In the 1000 genomes project for pilot 2 (deep coverage of ~35x) we expect the raw Qscore > 50 variants to contain at least ~10% FP calls. We use extensive post-calling filters to eliminate most of these FPs. Variant Quality Score Recalibration is a tool to perform this filtering.

-stand_call_conf [50.0]
-stand_emit_conf 10.0

So, I guess the -stand_emit_conf parameter is to lower the FPs(false positive?) got by the -stand_call_conf parameter. if -stand_call_conf=50 and -stand_emit_conf=10, the variants between 10 and 50 will be emitted but also marked as filtered.

I don't know whether I understand rightly.
biomichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
ymc

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomichael View Post
I got some information in the following site: http://www.broadinstitute.org/gsa/ga...tand_call_conf

In the 1000 genomes project for pilot 2 (deep coverage of ~35x) we expect the raw Qscore > 50 variants to contain at least ~10% FP calls. We use extensive post-calling filters to eliminate most of these FPs. Variant Quality Score Recalibration is a tool to perform this filtering.

-stand_call_conf [50.0]
-stand_emit_conf 10.0

So, I guess the -stand_emit_conf parameter is to lower the FPs(false positive?) got by the -stand_call_conf parameter. if -stand_call_conf=50 and -stand_emit_conf=10, the variants between 10 and 50 will be emitted but also marked as filtered.

I don't know whether I understand rightly.
Based on my experimentation, decreasing the -stand_emit_conf argument will simply increase number of LowQual calls but have virtually none effect on the PASS calls. So I don't think FP rate will change unless you also count LowQual calls as positives.
ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #8
blueskypy

-stand_emit_conf 10.0 means that it won’t report any potential SNPs with a quality below 10.0; but unless they meet the quality threshold set by -stand_call_conf (50.0, in this case), they will be listed as failing the quality filter
blueskypy is offline   Reply With Quote