SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extracting specific regions from binary .map file mhayes Bioinformatics 0 08-15-2011 12:14 PM
Removal of retained introns / primary transcripts from de novo RNAseq assembly sandmann RNA Sequencing 1 07-29-2011 08:54 AM
De novo assembly of highly expressed transcripts foryvonne RNA Sequencing 12 05-04-2011 02:47 AM
Aligning to specific chromosomal regions using BWA. oliver_ngs Bioinformatics 4 04-28-2011 05:20 AM

Old 10-01-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
rboettcher

Default De novo assembly of transcripts originating from specific target regions

Hello everyone,

After alignment of my paired-end RNAseq data, I have isolated some regions of interest and extracted reads mapping to these specific "target regions". Now, my intention is to perform de novo assembly with these reads to analyse the possible transcripts originating from my target regions. Hence, I am searching for assemblers that make use of my BAM files to recreate the transcripts.

So my questions is simple: could you recommend some tools?

Please note that I am solely interested in the transcripts and their exon boundaries / junctions, so I do not care for expression levels / transcript abundance.

My first idea was to use cufflinks with its GTF-guide option, however, I read this option still has severe problems so if anyone has alternatives I'd be happy to give them a try.

Kind regards
rboettcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Torst

Have you tried using your extracted read sets with de novo transcript assemblers like Trinity and Oases?
Torst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
rboettcher

Hello Torst,

No, I have not tried Oases or Trinity yet. Can you give any recommendations which one is preferable and how they perform in comparison with cufflinks + GTF-guide?

Please note that my current workstation is limited to 12 cores and 60 GB of RAM.

Kind regards
Old 10-09-2012, 04:10 AM   #4
Mark

It's not clear from your post whether de novo or mapping assembly is best for you. If the organism you are worrking with is well characterized in the regions of interest, then tophat and cufflinks (mapping assembly) should do a good job for you. If it is not, and the potential for substantial differences in the underlying genomic DNA exists, then relying on mapping assembly or use of a single read filter based on mapping to feed a de novo assembly may come up short.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
rboettcher

Hi Mark,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am working with human data (hg19), this is why I considered cufflinks.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Jan_R

http://www.cgat.org/~andreas/documen...ed-to-a-region

Extracting reads from sam-files:
If you are familiar with python you might consider using the module pysam for that purpose. The link I posted shows how to do it.
Jan_R is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
de novo assembly, target region, targeted