Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ion Torrent Mappers

Hi all - I'm getting (my first) Ion Torrent data set from a collaborator. It appears I have to use the Torrent Suite application which is only available on the Ion Torrent Cloud or downloaded as a VM. Are there any other options for mapping Ion Torrent data?

I see TMAP on github...https://github.com/iontorrent/TMAP

I think I'll try that.

Comment

Ion torrent can produce normal fastq format files as one of the options. You should be able to use any standard mapping program with these files.

Comment

You can also try tools for mapping Roche 454 SFF files, in many ways the Ion Torrent data behaves similarly.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          Ion torrent can produce normal fastq format files as one of the options. You should be able to use any standard mapping program with these files.
          As GenoMax said.

Compressed SFF, Fastq files can be downloaded off the server to be used in your favourite applications, or an alignment can be run on the server giving you a bam file

Comment

After talking with some of the Ion Torrent reps, they recommend using TMAP and their own variant caller. Information can be found at the Ion Community (requires signing up). Both their aligner and variant caller can use the flow intensity information and have been optimized for their sequencer, so could possibly give you better alignments and calls than a pipeline optimized for a light-based sequencer (although I haven't put that to the test).

Justin

Comment

We tried TMAP versus BWA-SW and found that TMAP works best for us. I don't know if other mappers perform better.

Comment

Bowtie2 should be able to map the data too. In their paper they compare Bowtie2 to BWA-SW for a Human IonTorrent data set, and I believe they performed similarly.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses