SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BWA behaviour with Mate Pair data + Multi read mapping apratap Bioinformatics 5 06-23-2011 04:38 PM
strange bwa/samtools behaviour (?) francesconea Bioinformatics 0 04-12-2011 05:15 AM
Mapping to repetitive regions JueFish Bioinformatics 0 04-05-2011 01:31 PM
mapping repetitive regions bogdan RNA Sequencing 0 03-21-2011 12:24 AM
mapping reads to repetitive regions bogdan Bioinformatics 0 03-10-2011 08:46 PM

Old 07-27-2010, 01:15 AM   #1
KevinLam

Default behaviour of bwa mapping for homologous regions.

Hi
I am using bwa on paired end illumina reads for identifying inter chromosomal translocation.
I have used breakdancer on the data but non of the proposed inter chromosomal translocations match what I have on my list of suspects (garnered from FISH)

I am looking at the alignment of the regions now manually and I find that there is low coverage in this region.

I am suspecting that the translocation are taking place in homologous regions within the genome.
Would this cause reads to be 'dropped out' from the final bam file if bwa finds equally plausible regions which the read might map?

How should I hunt for evidence for the translocation?
KevinLam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #2
epigen

BWA just chooses a random best alignment if there are several equally scoring best alignments. Hence I think your suspicion is the most probable explanation for not finding the translocation with NGS data that you've seen with FISH. A colleague had a similar problem with a paralogous gene.

BFAST has an option to keep all possible alignments for a read, I think that also works with paired end data. (I'm sure Nils will be helpful in this aspect.) Then the same read ID will appear multiple times in the SAM file and you have to think of a way for filtering with your own criteria.

Barbara
epigen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bwa, illumina, solexa, translocation