SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA-Seq and mouse reference genome ChristmasSunflower Bioinformatics 3 06-25-2014 11:23 PM
Creating custom reference genome from BED files? ngseq Illumina/Solexa 0 09-27-2012 09:10 AM
RNA-seq with No Reference Genome taylormjeffery Bioinformatics 1 06-06-2012 08:32 AM
RNA-seq READS mapping on Reference Genome kumardeep Introductions 6 04-21-2012 10:46 PM
RNA-seq assembly and reference genome lfaino Bioinformatics 3 04-13-2011 07:05 AM

Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
enelkinsan

Default custom reference genome for RNA-seq

Dear all,
I have RNA-seq data with 20 target genes and 5 reference genes (human). I don't want to map it to the whole genome because I'm only interested in those 25.
Probably, there is a way to modify (or build) an index for human so that it will include only 25 "chromosomes"? I'm just stuck in the middle of bowtie manual wandering where to look for the answer.

Thanks,
Elizabeth
enelkinsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
rflrob

If you have a fasta file with those 25 genes, you can then run bowtie-build on that, and then use the resulting index for bowtie or tophat.
rflrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #3
Simon Anders

How comes that your sample only contains data from these 25 genes? Have you used 25 primer pairs to pre-select for them? If so, why did you use RNA-Seq and not qPCR?

If you do an unusual kind of assay, please give details when asking for help here, or you waste everybodys time.

In case you meant that you have ordinary RNA-Seq samples from the whole polyadenylated RNA fraction but are only interested in these 25 genes: Then do an ordinary analysis and map to the whole genome as usual. Otherwise you risk mapping reads to your genes that were from different regions because the aligner could not see that the mapping is ambiguous because you hid the full genome from it.
Simon Anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reference genome sequence, rna-seq data analysis