No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fastx quality score

Hi ,

I am new to NGS analysis and trying my hand at fastx toolkit.I am trying to assess the quality of my sequence and part of the result is below.I would like to know the following

1.should we consider the mean column for assessing the quality of each cycle?
    2.what is the minimum value below which the quality is considered bad?is it 20?

column count min max sum mean
    1 10357317 2 40 404977359 39.1
    2 10357317 2 40 404775168 39.08
    3 10357317 2 40 404764272 39.08

your help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Joji

In general the mean quality is not a great measure since the distribution of quality values for a cycle is far from normal. The median is somewhat better, but I generally prefer looking at the 25th and 75th percentiles to try to get a better impression of the range of qualities in a cycle. You often find that the 25th percentile can drop to nearly zero, whilst the 75th percentile is still very high.

The cutoff for bad quality is often taken at 20 since this represents a 1% error rate, but these days I'd expect much better than that. I'd normally expect qualities of >28 for a good run. If I saw Q20 reads I'd be looking to see what the quality was so poor. (This may vary on different sequencing platforms though).

Comment

thanks for the reply.My q1 values start at 40 and end at 32.My q3 values start at 40 and end at 38.That means 25% of the scores are below the corresponding value for each cycle.Then how will I know if it is less than 28.The reason why am asking this is because I would like to know if it is ok for me to proceed with velvet assembly without modifying the fastq file.

Thanks,
      Joji

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses