Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller than expected Bioanalyzer peak for size-selected RNAs?

Hello all,

I just got some strange Bioanalyzer results from their small RNA chip, was wondering if anyone had experienced anything similar. My intention is to make small RNA libraries from these samples, so I wanted to get a good idea of the input concentrations.

The RNA samples were size-selected from an 18% denaturing polyacrylamide gel - I cut out the region between ~25-30 bp as far as my size marker indicated as can be seen in the attached image - but the results from the Bioanalyzer indicated that the vast majority of my samples are 20 bp in size. Huh?

Is this just an indication of degradation of my samples? I would think that if this were the case, there would be a lot of smaller fragments present in the Bioanalyzer trace as well.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated.

Karl
    Attached Files

I agree with your assesment that there would be more on the Bioanalyzer if it was degraded.

Bioanalyzer in our hands can shift sizes by a few up to 10 bp, but normally that isn't a shift you would see.

I wouldn't worry too much. It is still the population you want regardless of the exact size, right?

Comment

Originally posted by kwaraska View Post
      I agree with your assesment that there would be more on the Bioanalyzer if it was degraded.

Bioanalyzer in our hands can shift sizes by a few up to 10 bp, but normally that isn't a shift you would see.

I wouldn't worry too much. It is still the population you want regardless of the exact size, right?
      Unfortunately, size is the main determination of my population of interest. If I were to make a library from this material, it would likely be strongly biased for miRNAs, which is not what I am interested in.

A shift of 5 bp in the Bioanalyzer run would certainly explain this result. I guess it's a matter of whether I believe the Bioanalyzer results or whether I believe the resolution of the gel.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses