No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESeq and GSEA with pre-ranked gene list

Hi all,

I've been using DESeq for my RNA-Seq differential expression analysis. Now I want to use the DESeq result to generate a ranked-list, which will be used as the input in GSEA. My question is: Should I rank the genes using the fold changes or using the q-values?

Thanks.

How to combine GSEA with RNA-Seq is still unclear and subject to ongoing research. We (and other groups, I suppose) are looking at a couple of options.

If you want something now, try using the moderate log fold change that are now reported by the newest version of DESeq. This is not ideal, and I don't want to even say that it is statistically sound, but it is probably better than using p values or raw fold changes.

Comment

DESeq and GSEA with pre-ranked gene list

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post
      How to combine GSEA with RNA-Seq is still unclear and subject to ongoing research. We (and other groups, I suppose) are looking at a couple of options.
      I'm also interested in using RNA-Seq differential expression results as a ranked list into GSEA. Any new thoughts since last August on more appropriately ranking the genes coming out of DE analysis for GSEA (or other gene enrichment analyses)?

Comment

Have you looked into SeqGSEA ?
        cf : http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...tu090.abstract

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Anders View Post

If you want something now, try using the moderate log fold change that are now reported by the newest version of DESeq. This is not ideal, and I don't want to even say that it is statistically sound, but it is probably better than using p values or raw fold changes.
          Hello Simon,

since this is such an old post, I figured I'd ask if there were any advances on the issue - either from your group or anybody else?

I've tried few things but I quite come up with a criterion about what's working and what's not. Is using Wald statistic in pre-ranked GSEA a bad idea?

Thank you for any input in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by maxUlysse View Post
            Have you looked into SeqGSEA ?
            cf : http://bioinformatics.oxfordjournals...tu090.abstract
            This is good, but it kind of forces you to use their own differential expression analysis. I would like to stick with DESeq2, and then use the results in GSEA.

Comment

(Old post, but folks are still watching, still high google rank.)

Comment

I haven't done any testing on what output is best for downstream set analysis. I recently wrote a post on Bioc support site on how to produce a discrete output (yes/no DE) from DESeq2 for use with the Bioc package goseq. Another option would be to use the moderated LFC or Wald statistic as a continuous signal.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses