No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gene info from XLOC

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to genomics. I am using cuffdiff to get differentially expressed genes. and as output, I am getting the gene_id as XLOC_......, can anybody help me extracting useful gene information, gene name from XLOC ids ?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thank You

Originally posted by ojham View Post
    Hello Everyone,
    I am new to genomics. I am using cuffdiff to get differentially expressed genes. and as output, I am getting the gene_id as XLOC_......, can anybody help me extracting useful gene information, gene name from XLOC ids ?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thank You
    The best way is to supply a GTF file to Cufflinks/Cuffdiff before you run the program using the -G option. Is this an organism with a good annotation?

Comment

Hi, thank you for the response. I did use -G option while doing cufflink and yes the data is annotated data. Do I need to use -G option for cuffdiff also ?

Comment

Cuffdiff doesn't have a -G option since a GTF file is a requirement rather than an option. Does your GTF file have gene names in it? Does the Cufflinks output have the correct annotation?

Comment

yes my GTF file has gene names in it . how do I find if the annotation is correct or not , to which file I have to compare ?

Comment

Could you post a couple lines of your gtf file?

Comment

I have attached data for two gene Ids
              Attached Files

Comment

I meant the actual gtf file you used as input for cufflinks. You need to make sure it fits the format specified in the cufflinks manual.

Comment

is this one you want ?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes, that looks like a proper gtf file, but it does not have a gene name associated with any of the entries, so there will be no gene name associated with any of the cufflinks output. You need to either find a new gtf file for your organism that has gene names or update the file to contain gene names.
                    Last edited by pbluescript; 06-05-2012, 01:35 PM. Reason: Accidentally a word.

Comment

thank you. I will find gtf file with gene name and repeat the process and will update the result.

Comment

I have a query, this cufflink's gtf file wil be used as reference gtf file for all the samples. and if I update the gtf file with gene names then this will work for current sample , but not for other samples. what should I do in that case ?

Comment

Finally !!! cuffdiff is able to generate corresponding gene IDs for XLOC IDs. I did tophat>>cuffcompare>>cufdiff.

Comment

pbluescript,

can you explain me how FPKM values are calculated in cuffdiff output. I have used two samples long and short and each have 3 groups as L1,L2, L3 and S1, S2, S3. I used cuffdiff on these 6 data sets assuming them as two different types

Comment

Originally posted by ojham View Post
                              pbluescript,

can you explain me how FPKM values are calculated in cuffdiff output. I have used two samples long and short and each have 3 groups as L1,L2, L3 and S1, S2, S3. I used cuffdiff on these 6 data sets assuming them as two different types
                              Have you read through the manual at the Cufflinks webpage?
                              Specifically, this section should be useful:

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                                Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses