Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSmooth alignment problem

I was aligning short reads obtained from Illumina but always got an error as following:

###############################################
    perl bswc_bowtie2_align.pl --out=./outReadslevel/ --sam=./outputSAM/chr ./h.sapiens.bsIndex/chr ./h.sapiens.ref/chr*.fa ./SRA/sra_data.fastq
    Error: <mate1s/reads> not specified

The alignment pipeline is followed by:
    Alignment of bisulfite sequence reads and tabulation of read-level methylation measurements - BenLangmead/bsmooth-align

Alignment of bisulfite sequence reads and tabulation of read-level methylation measurements - BenLangmead/bsmooth-align

# sra_data.fastq is built successfully in the first step..
    Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
    Thank you in advance!!

Originally posted by genefan View Post
    I was aligning short reads obtained from Illumina but always got an error as following:

perl bswc_bowtie2_align.pl --out=./outReadslevel/ --sam=./outputSAM/chr ./h.sapiens.bsIndex/chr ./h.sapiens.ref/chr*.fa ./SRA/sra_data.fastq
    Error: <mate1s/reads> not specified

The alignment pipeline is followed by:

# sra_data.fastq is built successfully in the first step..
    Does anyone know how to solve this problem?
    Thank you in advance!!
    While I've never actually used bsmooth, I can tell you that the syntax isn't quite what you would expect. You might try:

Code:
    perl bswc_bowtie2_align.pl --out=outReadslevel/ --sam=outputSAM/chr -- h.sapiens.bsIndex/chr -- h.sapiens.ref/chr*.fa -- -- SRA/sra_data.fastq --
    The "--" is important for the parsing. I think you need the "-- --" part near the end as well as it may otherwise assume that the fastq file is actually an option for bowtie2.
    Last edited by dpryan; 11-18-2013, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpryan View Post
      While I've never actually used bsmooth, I can tell you that the syntax isn't quite what you would expect. You might try:

Code:
      perl bswc_bowtie2_align.pl --out=outReadslevel/ --sam=outputSAM/chr -- h.sapiens.bsIndex/chr -- h.sapiens.ref/chr*.fa -- -- SRA/sra_data.fastq --
      The "--" is important for the parsing. I think you need the "-- --" part near the end as well as it may otherwise assume that the fastq file is actually an option for bowtie2.
      Thanks a lot, the problem is solved! The "-- --" part near the end is mattered..

Comment

Glad that fixed things. I've seen enough code from Ben Langmead to know that his stuff is rather particular about input syntax.

Comment

Glad that fixed things. I've seen enough code from Ben Langmead to know that his stuff is rather particular about input syntax.
          Yes, this is quite tricky..

Comment

One more question:
            bowtie2_bs_align.pl [options*] -- <index> -- <refs> -- <bowtie2-args> -- [<mate2s>]

<index>: Name prefix for index files. E.g. if index is in /tmp/idx.*.watson.bt2 and /tmp/idx.*.crick.bt2, specify "/tmp/idx"..

chr1.crick.1.bt2, chr1.crick.2.bt2,chr1.crick.3.bt2, chr1.crick.4.bt2,
            chr1.watson.3.bt2 ,chr1.watson.4.bt2, chr1.watson.rev.1.bt2, chr1.watson.rev.2.bt2
            chr1.crick.rev.1.bt2 ,chr1.crick.rev.2.bt2 ,chr1.watson.1.bt2 ,chr1.watson.2.bt2
            chr2.... and all the other chromosomes..

How should I define the index correctly?
            if /tmp/chr is used, it gives "Index with basename does not exist"... when I use /tmp/chr*.bt2, the program works fine, but is this the right solution?
            The output is given: chrY.ev.tsv
            Is there any way to combine the bt2 files?
            Many thanks!!

Comment

How exactly did you create the index files? You should have only a set of index files each strand, not one for each chromosome for each strand.

Comment

How exactly did you create the index files? You should have only a set of index files each strand, not one for each chromosome for each strand.
                I used the following command:
                perl bswc_bowtie2_index.pl --name=chr --bowtie2-build=/.../bowtie2-build ./ref/*.fa

there are 24 fasta files (chr1.fa, chr2.fa....) in the ref folder..
                This will then output the above index files.

Comment

You can "cat" the *.fa files into a single multi-fasta file and then use that single file as your "reference" for bowtie2-build. That will create one set of index files for the entire genome.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
                    You can "cat" the *.fa files into a single multi-fasta file and then use that single file as your "reference" for bowtie2-build. That will create one set of index files for the entire genome.
                    Thank you for the suggestion! It should work well in this way..

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                    • seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                    0 responses