Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using khist to generate kmer coverage histogram

I used khist from bbmap to generate kmer coverage, the attached included the output and the log file. There are a few things I am not very clear. what's different between "Raw count and unique_kmer" in the output file?
    Is "unique kmer" defined as "the kmer only appear once in the dataset"? what's the differences between unique kmer and the kmers whose depth is one?
    When I plot the dataset for coverage, which column should I use? raw count or unique kmer?

The data is a metagenome data.

Thanks
    Attached Files

The program (conceptually) allocates one counter per kmer, and increments it every time that kmer is seen. So, let's say K=2 and the input string is "CATTATTT".

That breaks down into these kmers:
    CA, AT, TT, TA, AT, TT, TT

After reverse-complementing to store only a single canonical copy, either forward or reverse, we get this:

CA, AT, AA, AT, AT, AA, AA

So the kmer counts stored by the program would be:

AA: 3
    AT: 3
    CA: 1

This would equate to 3 unique kmers. The histogram would look like this:
    Code:
    #Depth	Raw_Count	Unique_Kmers
    1	1	1
    3	6	2
    Generally, (column 3) = (column 2)/(column 1).

So line 1 means there was a single kmer (CA) that occurred exactly once, and it was counted exactly once. Line 2 means that there were 2 unique kmers (AT and AA) that each occurred 3 times, for a total of 6 occurrences.

Therefore - if you want to plot the coverage with respect to the genome, I suggest plotting the "unique" column. And to clarify, the number of "unique kmers" is not the same as the number of kmers that only occur once (I would call those "singleton kmers") - the second number of row 1 gives you the number of singleton kmers counted (1, in this case).
    Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 08-29-2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
      Yesterday, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses