Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGS reads quality

Is there a way to find a quality score for a 454 sequence?
    I know I have the fasta and qual files, but can I get like a number for every read or all the reads together?

Andrei

EDIT: By reads I mean the raw 454 data.
    Last edited by andreitudor; 04-15-2011, 06:43 AM.

In the D*fullProcessing directory after running Newbler should be *.454Reads.fna and *454Reads.qual files of the reads. Depending on your sequencing facility they may not be giving out those files unless requested. We do not give them out by default since most of our customers are not interested in the data nor (dare I say it?) capable of handling the data.

Comment

Sounds like you want to convert FASTA+QUAL to FASTQ. BioPython and BioPerl supposedly do this:

Comment

Yes indeed, I have those files. I have the .sff file, so I have the multi-fasta of the reads, .qual for the reads, and an assembly with newbler. in the newbler assembly directory i have the fasta and qual files of the contigs. I was intrested, and still am, in finding as much info on the reads as possible (quality metrics)
        Last edited by andreitudor; 04-15-2011, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Sorry. I missed in your original post that you already had the quality files. Thus my advice was not apropos to your needs.

Basically what you are looking for is a quality metrics program. Doesn't matter if this program is for 454 data or for other sequencers. For such a large number of reads a graphical presentation is the only way to go. The fastqc program from babraham is a good program. Cross-platform.

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
            Sorry. I missed in your original post that you already had the quality files. Thus my advice was not apropos to your needs.

Basically what you are looking for is a quality metrics program. Doesn't matter if this program is for 454 data or for other sequencers. For such a large number of reads a graphical presentation is the only way to go. The fastqc program from babraham is a good program. Cross-platform.

http://www.bioinformatics.bbsrc.ac.uk/projects/fastqc/
            Hi,

FastQC was not designed for 454 data, and has not been tested on it, so the quality distributions may be misleading.

PRINSEQ, was however designed for 454 data, and is excellent. Even the standalone, Linux platform is very easy to use: http://edwards.sdsu.edu/prinseq_beta/

Comment

GALAXY can also give you a nice boxplot, but isnt so good for filtering 454 amplicon as the criteria is much stricter... http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses