Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tophat2/samtools

We have been trying to move from tophat1 to tophat2 utilizing a transcriptome as well as genome reference, and are having some performance and output issues. RNA-seq data that previously took about 12 hours to map now takes >4 days (stopped the runs at that point), with tophat_reports apparently being the culprit. Providing just a few hundred reads still takes much longer than expected and ends with an error in tophat_reports. The reported error is typically something like

Warning: mapped sequence without CIGAR (DJG84KN1:201:C0CKNACXX:7:1101:1815:2215)
    Warning: mapped sequence without CIGAR (DJG84KN1:201:C0CKNACXX:7:1101:1815:2215)
    Warning: mapped sequence without CIGAR (DJG84KN1:201:C0CKNACXX:7:1101:2101:2179)
    Warning: mapped sequence without CIGAR (DJG84KN1:201:C0CKNACXX:7:1101:2101:2179)
    Warning: mapped sequence without CIGAR (DJG84KN1:201:C0CKNACXX:7:1101:2307:2249)
    Warning: mapped sequence without CIGAR (DJG84KN1:201:C0CKNACXX:7:1101:2307:2249)
    Error: CIGAR and sequence length are inconsistent!(TGCTCTTCCGATCTGCCCCCTTAAACACCATTTTCCCTCCAGGACCACCTTGGTTTCTAGGCACTGTGGTTCTTGGCAGGGGCTGTCTTAGG)

This looks like it's possibly an incompatibility with samtools but we have tried versions 0.11 through 0.18 with no change. I wondered if anyone can help narrow down the issue ?

Hi,

I got the same problem using tophat 2.0.6. (and bowtie 2.0.2) and can not find a way to solve the problem.
    - error log is:
    Error running /PATH/tophat.dir/bin/tophat_reports
    Error: CIGAR and sequence length are inconsistent!(TTCAAACAAAATCGAATCCTGAAAGAGTAGAAGGGGAGCGGTGAGAGGAGGAGGAGGAGGAAGAGGAGGAGGGGGGCAGTCCTCCCCGAGCTAAAAACCTC)
    Somebody did solve this problem ?

Comment

Hi,

Same problem...

Did you guys solve it?
      Last edited by tschauer; 12-06-2012, 02:38 AM.

Comment

I found that if you tell tophat2 to generate a
        transcriptome index by supplying a GTF file, but the index already
        exists, it bombs out. You have to make sure not to tell it the GTF file
        again.

We've basically abandoned tophat2 in favour of STAR these days.

Comment

thanks

samtools was not correctly installed

without GTF it works

Comment

Question about removing the GTF file

Thanks all for the information! I'm having the same problem. I tried removing the GTF file, but perhaps did it wrong (see with and without below). If possible can you share your command lines without the GTF file?

My command with GTF file...
            tophat -p 8 -o tophat.out --library-type fr-firststrand -G ~/jmt/projects/run3_01/mm9gtf/genes.gtf --transcriptome-index ~/jmt/projects/run3_01/mm9transcripts/transcriptome ~/jmt/projects/run3_01/mm9genome/genome test.fastq

My command without the GTF file...
            tophat -p 8 -o tophat.out --library-type fr-firststrand --transcriptome-index ~/jmt/projects/run3_01/mm9transcripts/transcriptome ~/jmt/projects/run3_01/mm9genome/genome test.fastq

-Thank you!!

Comment

Hi all,

this problem seems still unresolved.
              GTF was recommended by Tophat2 paper if available.
              In my case, only one line has the problem in one bam file:
              Code:
                      73      scaffold210     158009  50      30M26178N70M    *       0       0       GTACGAGTCGTTCTGCCGGCCGCCGTGCTCGGAGTCGCCGTTGACGATCCAGACGATGTGCGGCGCGGGCTTGGCGGAGCCGGAGCTGCAGTTGGCGTGC  $#$%&&&#%$"&"%("')&!&)''&!"%%(""!$!"!!"""#%%"$%%%%$"!"!!!!!"%!"%$"#%%%%""%%!!!!"$%"!!"%$$!!!!!!!!!!!  AS:i:-12        XM:i:2  XO:i:0  XG:i:0  MD:Z:78C18C2    NM:i:2  XS:A:-  NH:i:1
              Where, the read name was not printed successfully.

I filtered this line by:
              awk '$1!~/^[0-9]/'
              Last edited by pengchy; 10-20-2013, 07:06 PM. Reason: add awk command

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses